A Fire Piston | SouthernPaddler.com

A Fire Piston

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
In the mixed spirit of "real primitive camping" mixed with "frivolous playing" I also have one of those magnesium blocks with a flint cast in it. The idea being that you lay your fire base, have split kindling there, shave off some magnesium shavings into the pile, and then strike the flint with your knife.

Actually, instead of striking the flint, they now advise to scrape the knife along the flint, aiming it towards the shavings. I guess that more faithfully copies the action of flint against the steel frizzen in a flintlock. Scraping produces a thicker shower of parks, and better focused.

I still want to be a cowboy when I grow up.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Down here the best tinder is the moss ( for a better term) from the underside of the boot or frond on the sable ( Cabbage) palm tree. Even after a hard rain it is bone dry.
The dead fronds from the palm tree are also good tinder.

Better yet just use a small chunk of fat wood , ( lighter wood) or some of you might know it as the heart of the southern pine tree. The same thing they use as one of the ingredients to make gun powder. Easy to tell when you found a chunk of fat wood on a stump , it smells like turpentine. The darn stuff will burn in a rain. :D

We don't carry tinder with us on camping trips , we just get it after camp is set up.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
In the Canadian Shield country, we look for birch bark, pine knots in a downed rotten tree, milkweed fuzz, cat tails, dead cedar, or dryer lint (COTTON, not other stuff; wool won't sustain a flame).

islandpiper

I've seen Jack start a fire like this: He makes his tinder pile and puts it under the smallest twigs and kindling, then sets up a 6" magnifying glass and out of his battered old wallet comes his autographed picture of Ann Margaret which he sets down opposite the tinder.........works every time. but, as he gets older he is less likely to get Ann out if it is raining......hard to replace a picture like that these days, even on eBay.

Piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Take care of that picture Jack, she ia a class act.

This says it all.... "Ann Margaret and Her Gentlemen Vets"

This is kind of a touching story, but true. We bet Jane Fonda wishes today that she had this kind of admiration from Vietnam Vet's instead of what she receives, and deserves. This story definitely deserves to be forwarded.

Ann Margaret and Her Gentlemen!
Text forwarded by D&S Grogan and Bob Edwards

Richard, my husband, never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8x10 black & white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margaret, with Bob Hope in the background, that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo, so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing. When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage.

Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book, and no memorabilia would be permitted. Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home.

Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as 2nd in line, it was soon Richard's turn. He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo with many shouts from employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it". She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for "my gentlemen". With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a 'to do' about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them.

There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he was the only one there.

Later, at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big strong husband broke down in tears. "That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army", he said.

Richard, like many others, came home to people who spit on him and shouted ugly things at him. That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well my source for starting a fire is a little different than most I keep a stack of pic of Jane Fonda I really like watching them curl and burn in the fire. Sadistic ole fart aint I
Ron
The two women we are discussing one is a class act and the other you can leave off the cl

islandpiper

TRR......a stack of Jane fonda pics is considered toxic waste, the EPA may be on your trail now.

Piper

( You want to see something BAD.... Keep saying that witches name and just sit back till I come unglued........ Trust me there is nothing but hatred there on my part. Lets find something else to hijack this thread with like toxic waste or something a lot nicer...Chuck. )

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
......(backing away from the fray.....maintaining eye contact......adjusting my tie......stepping back, carefully......watching all around, without really turning my head.....and, stepping lightly, but quickly, out the door......)
Ozark, "Who was that masked man?"

Me, "I don't know, but he left me this silver bullet."