A Hairy Swamp Girl. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A Hairy Swamp Girl.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Vung Tau eh, do you remember what regiment they were from?

Ha Ha Ha ..... Jack remember , I just fell out of my chair and broke a rib laughing. Jack remembers when he was with the Courps of discover ( Lewis & Clark ) mapping out the western part of the United States when it was still a coloney on the eastern shore.
The Man has a mind like a steel trap ...... OK , so it is a little rusty , it has had a lot of use in the past centuries. :roll:

"O" opppp's you are asking about them and not Jack....... Now that might be some troubles for him to remember on such a short notice. :wink:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick, pay no attention to the Olde Farte rampaging up & down the sidelines, there. He's toothless and nearly harmless. Lotsa fun to watch.

The Aussies were fixing C-7 Caribou aircraft. No idea of what outfit it was. Stan Tilley was a civilian sheet metal repairman (tin bender, we called them). A younger fellow was named Rick something.

I damned near missed lunch one day becasue I didn't know that "tokka" was tucker which is Aussie for what GI's call chow. We all got drunk a few times.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hey KJ, Chuck & Bullhead,

KJ, the Caribou were fine aircraft, specially for the short landings & take-offs required there. (sometimes hot) and they could take a lot of fire.

I have heard of a story where we sent over a squadran of mixed choppers, mostely iriquoy and chinnooks, 24 in total. We lost 3 over there and when we came back, we brought 25 home. The others were scrounged from American spares and trashed craft and got airworthy. Aparently there was hell to pay about it when they came home and the numbers didn't add up. :D

On another note, Got all the main hull panels on today and started with the epoxy and wood flour. I will email Matt some pics and he might post em for me.

JEM

HMSG7.JPG

HMSG8.JPG

HMSG9.JPG

HMSG10.JPG

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Matt,

Worked on her all night in the cool. Got the outside seams all filled. A little sanding tomorrow and then hopefully, off the strong back and start on the inside. I have sent Matt a couple more piccies and he might post em here for me.

My cheap ply has turned out very well. there were no voids and the curves are all pretty consistent. My "practice boat' could well become the boat I keep.

Building this has become an all consuming passion for me and I am having a ball. I can't wait to get started on the next one.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

Had a bit of a set-back today. Seems I have a lot more to learn about laying up epoxy. I tried to do way too much at one time in 36 degree C heat and it went off before I could get it done.

There be a lot of sanding ahead of me now.
slap.gif

Nevermind, whats a few more days?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
You betcha, bubbles, air pockets, mounds of resin, the whole nine yards.

Bloody heat is nothing I can do about it. except maybe move to a cooler climate. We are supposed to be in the middle of Autumn but there has been no sign of the weather cooling off.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick,

Like you, I have a Black & Decker Work Mate. I extended it some with a piece of 3/8" plywood; 1/2" would work well too. Mine is about 4' wide and 2' deep.

First, I clamped a piece of about 15" 2X4 into the bench (has to be short enough to fit in between the two jack screws) so a flat surface was flush with the top of the Work Mate. Then, I lined up one edge of the plywood with the front edge of the bench. Then I drilled holes and sunk big wood screws through the plywood into the 2X4.

The plywood extends out beyond the bench on both sides and back. You could make it asymmetrical to one side too, if needed to fit a corner of a workshop.

It clamps in or releases pretty easily so the original Work Mate is available for all uses.