A Lake Bistineau Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

A Lake Bistineau Pirogue

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Finished this one recently. It is a takeoff from a style of fiberglass pirogue popular in this area. Same size as my friends fiberglassed one, only mine is wood and has a flat bottom . Not tunneled like the factory made one.

11.5" long, 28" max. floor width, 34" overall beam

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

beekeeper

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Re: A Lake Bistineaux Pirogue

Kayak Jack said:
Interesting lines on those tumbled home gunnels.

They are an experament and learning process to improve my "truck boat". For me a 34" beam at about 8" high is the max. beam I can paddle well. I like the benefits of flaired sides, but it is hard to manage both. The tumblehome works, but it will also give the boat a nontraditional pirogue look. I was trying to stay with breasthooks and not deck the boat.

beekeeper

loafer

Jan 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA

traditions get started when something works for somebody an no one takes the time
or puts forth the effort to modify or improve on it for their own use
I admire your work Bee and look forward to seeing each new addition
Loafer

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com

I really admire the work you're doing here! Looks to me like the "Lake Bistineaux Pirogue" could easily become a "new" tradition. Keep at it!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012

Hey Mr. Bee, that is a beautiful pirogue you've built. Several weeks back you started posting pictures of a build but then all of a sudden they were gone. Is this boat that build you started? Gamecock.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009

Thanks for the compliments guys. :)

Mike
Not sure about the "new tradition" but the style suits me and my use.

Chuck
I will be glad when the boats start "helping" me with the catching. It has been slim pickings. Guess I should go more. :roll: :)

Gamecock
It is the same boat. I was having computer problems so I decided to give up. I intended to show how I built it and the mistakes with corrections I made along the way, but realized there was little interest. Probably because the method I use does not apply to what most builders do.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
This is why I build boats!

My son said he liked it and it met all our goals we set for it. Now all we need to do now is catch some more fish.

beekeeper