A lil trip on the Burrum (fresh section) | SouthernPaddler.com

A lil trip on the Burrum (fresh section)

hairymick01

G'day guys,

Its been a while since I posted a trip report. The truth is that very little paddling has been done for some time.

Yesterday, the very loverly Miss Evie and I went up one of my favourite little stretches of fresh water round here. With the recent floods, It just hasn't been safe enough to paddle many of our rivers And I was keen to see what changes had been wrought here. As axpected all the duckweed and most of the lillies have gone for now and some of the bigger trees were washed away but that is about the extent of it.

It was Evie's first time on the Burrum so I was a little anxious as to whether she would like it as much as i do.

The put in,

HowaardWeir006.jpg

with the new (higher water levels, we were able to put in a small drain and paddle from it directly into the river :D

HowaardWeir009.jpg

and then head upstream
HowaardWeir018.jpg

To the second weir

HowaardWeir046.jpg

where we saw some good old boys fishing for barramundi

HowardWeirM017.jpg

They caught two while we were there having a cuppa and picnic.

HowaardWeir052.jpg

And while Evie was making lunch, I just HAD to get in the water.

HowaardWeir054.jpg

after lunch, we just kicked back and took in the sceneray and watched the fishermen. In a throwaway statement, Evie said, "Next time we come up here, can we bring the fishing rods." :D 8) 8)

Yes, dear, if you insist.

All too soon the afternoon wore on and it was time to head back.

HowardWeirM015.jpg

Hope you enjoued our little story.

HowardWeirM011.jpg

Mick & Evie

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Enjoyed the report, neat area indeed, but whats that boat with the Texas registration doing up there :?:

MM

Soon be time for river trips here to.

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Great report, Mick, with some nice photos; brings back a few memories. You seem to be doing rather well for yourself, Mate - new truck and an even better looking paddling partner.

I have been bouncing around the Gulf coast of Florida the past 3 months, and at one point spotted a salt water croc' sunning on the mud bank. I showed the photos to a Park ranger and we estimated the size at 10'-12'. He considered that to be a decent size. I couldn't help but think, "They hatch from the egg that size in OZ" :)