A Little Breamin | SouthernPaddler.com

A Little Breamin

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Had a lazy trip today to a little creek just to the north of Hervey Bay. Decided it was time to get back to my roots and do a little bait fishing for bream. With the water so clean here, the local bream are at least as good to eat as sweetlip I have caught further north.

Put in just after High tide

IMGP0799002640x480.jpg

And paddled upsteam to a yabbie bank (Ghost Shrimp) for my lovely fresh bait.

Worked some structure near the yabbie bank, casting unweighted yabbies and just drifting along with the current, Got repeatedly monstered by rat bream in the 20 - 23cm range. Bugger this. Moved back down stream and started more of the same. This time the fish were a little better. First drift (about 300m) three bream and a tarwhine to about 30cm (12 ")

IMGP0801004640x480.jpg

Paddle back, one more drift 6 more bream around the 25cm mark - too easy

This shot is the total catch kept for two X 300 metre drifts

IMGP0802005640x480.jpg

Oh yeah,

and one of these bloody things

IMGP0800003640x480.jpg

For those who don't know, they are a "Happy Moment" great fun on light line but if the spines get you, they will ruin your day.

Couple of shots of the creek at low tide.

IMGP0804007640x480.jpg

IMGP0806009640x480.jpg

IMGP0807010640x480.jpg

IMGP0808011640x480.jpg

Oh yeah, Happy moments are not the only thing in this creek that will hurt ya.

IMGP0809012640x480.jpg

I have never seen one here, but I believe they are there.

i don't normally keep that many fish, but we are having guests here soon.

Thanks for reading my little story. :D

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
Great story Mick, thanks for sharing. Looks like your as good at catching fish as you are building boats.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Just beautiful Mick! How are you preparing the catch? :wink: The area looks alot like the tide waters of Tybee Island, Georgia. A place I
try to frequent, hopefully in May again.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Good ta see yer back on vacation. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? Abraham Lincoln

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

I had a few days off as part of my rotational roster. Back to bloody w#@k tomorrow.

I blooded the Sasquatch today :D Now she is a boat! Will do a trip report shortly. :D

"Old Yakker Wrote"

Just beautiful Mick! How are you preparing the catch?

Thanks mate,

Will prepare a post in recipes section specific to how I like to cook these little delights. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Ya'll ever git together with that rowdy bunch seen in some of yer early pichurs......showin' how ya'll git serius bout drinkin' cold beer, cookin outside 'n eatin'.

a curius bearridge

His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free. Unknown high school student

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Bear,

Not nearly as often as I would like mate. We arew all shift workers with different rosters. It can be difficult to organise a time when the majority of the mob all have the same time off.

But yeah, we get together from time to time for a bit of camping - barbeque, 4 wheel driving etc. :D

Gringo Salado

Jan 13, 2008
Angleton, Texas
Sweet looking boat ya' got there Mick.
Congrats on gettin' some blood on her decks. Good stuff when you can build it and then take it out, have some fun, and gather a little grub too! Beautiful pics, my favorite part, not twenty boats roaring in the background!