A little fly fishing | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A little fly fishing

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Several years ago a person decided to paddle the St.Johns River from the Atlantic Ocean to it's headwaters at Blue Cypress. I have no idea why he chose that rout since it is against the current all the way. :roll:

Anyway he started at the Ocean and made it inland , then on down into this area and the puzzle lake section. At this time he ran out of places to camp due to high water and lots of flat land. He sleep in his canoe for most of the remaining trip to the headwaters. I believe that was almost a week.

I know a friend of mine who made a wrong turn in the Everglades and spent one night in his canoe. He said it beat the alternative but was not really that comfortable. As he put it ... He was lucky he does not sleep walk.
That was when he started taking a hammock along , there is always a place to hang a hammock but forget about pitching a tent.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ron, on the original Kruger boats, some paddlers have a framework of PVC pipe up over the cockpit area, with a tent that fastens to the gunnels all around. Has windows and screens for ventilation. Sort of a little house sticking up, with a long roof, gabled on the ends.

Several designs come to mind, and that one has been tried and found to work.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
crkdltr said:
I must have missed the invite to this shindig... :p

Hey, crkdltr, if you want to make a fishing trip down this way, I'll drop you a PM the next time I go. It would be nice to have a little company.

Joey