A multi use Titanium grill or a , Backpacking , camping table | SouthernPaddler.com

A multi use Titanium grill or a , Backpacking , camping table

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sitting at home waiting for the virus to leave so it's safe to go out and about. I did some surfing (web) and found the perfect camping ( Backpacking ) table. Plus it comes in it's own protective case to keep your backpack clean.

It's multi use.
1. 1st it' can be a table. I plan on it being a ( solo ) camping table when it''s not a grill. I like items that can do more then one thing and are light weight when backpacking.
2. It can be a cooking platform , put your pot on it over a small fire or hot coals
3. You can use it for grilling any meat including Bacon. :)
4. It's light weight at only 3.7 ounces ( 105 grams )
5. Length is 7.75 inches ( 19.6 cm )
6. Width closed 4.0 inches ( 10.1 cm )
7. Width open 8.26 inches ( 20.9 cm )
8. Height folded 1.27 inches ( 3.1 cm )
9. Height open 4.5 inches ( 11.4 cm )
It's 100% Titanium and has a 60 square inch coking surface.

Here it is at Backcountrygear and full price.

It's the Vargo Titanium folding grill. Massdrop ( Drop ) had it at a reduced price so I got one.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
And - could be used as body armor in a sword fight. ;-)

Sorry about it Jack but it did noting as far as protecting that steak from my knife and fork.

As normal before using it I scrubbed it to get any remaining ( if any ) manufacturing oils or grease off it. Always a good idea to really clean any Titanium products before using them.

Something else I found ,
if you are to lazy to clean it in the field before going home. It can be wrapped in a one gallon zip lock bag before placing it in the protective cover to protect the cover and to reduce any cooking orders.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Those meaty odors you’re toting around kn hour back can attract unwelcome critters. In your territory, that would be mice and raccoons. Up here it would be mice and bears.
Be sure to not wipe your hands on your pants. Heartily pat your fellow hiker on his back, vigorously sliding your hand around on his shoulders. ;-)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We have Mice , Raccoons and a really large Bear population. Black Bears not the big brown ones , they all died out along time ago. Out of all three the biggest pain in the posterior are the Raccoons , they really enjoy raiding a camp no matter where you are. The Bears tend to leave you alone except for the Yoga and Bo Bo ones ( Park Bears). There have been Bears passing threw in back of my place. A friend of ours ( Joe ) has several in his back yard every day but he lives near the Wekiva River which is a traditional bear territory.
John Depa told me a long time ago that the Rats at the Shark River Chickee ( Everglades National Park ) were taking it over. They ate anything they could find including a lot of his plastic baits. Anything left out of the tackle box was fair game and he said he got very little sleep that night. He did say he managed to kick quite a few into the river which some larger fish enjoyed as free meals. He compared there numbers to the cockroaches on some of the other chickees.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The one, good thing that I’ve heard about the pythons and anacondas being there, is thinning out the raccoon population. But, you know that, as the raccoons near zero, they’ll go after another target that is an easy kill. A larger animal providing more protein - hikers, campers, golfers.

They probably prefer something tasty, so politicians may not be targeted?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The snakes are doing a lot of damage to the local wildlife. The experts are saying it will completely change the food chain and well being of everything. I think it will be disastrous if anything.
If I see one of them , it will be a dead snake. I don't kill the native ones since they do some good in thier own right. The invaders , great targets if i see any.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I agree. But, the problem with that approach is, the snake is a better hunter, better at camouflage, and an ambush attacker. The odds are, that you have already been close to one - .and only one of you knew it. If you haven’t had real life experience, it’s not easy to understand how slow, but then how quick they are. And how darned strong.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm not new to snakes and if I'm anything it's snake aware. I have lived here all my life except for the 1st year. That makes it 75 years now. Most of those years has been outdoors in the country , woods and waters of this state. As with most critters they have one downfall they are a straight line horizontal in a world where vegetation grows vertically.
Yep , no question about it , I have walked by a lot of them and never saw them due to thick grown cover.
One experience I had was marking off a underbrush area ( about waist high ) including blueberry clusters , for some reason I stopped , listen and looked. About two feet from where my right foot was there was a hole where i could see the ground. The hole was about the size of a normal coffee cup. On the ground there was a partial diamond pattern just laying there.
Standing still I started looking and and after what seamed like a life time I notice some movement ahead of me and there was the head. One shot and I took that rattler out of the blackberry patch. It was just over 7 feet long. The skin I tanned and made a hat band out of it. The Meat was filleted in pieces about the size and length of a #2 wood pencil. Later it was fried like you would do Frog Legs for a supper. But that's a whole different story my Girl Friend then ( later my wife of 55 years ) wanted to choke me over.
That Rattler never made a sound except for a slight movement when I stopped walking threw those bushes and vines. .If I would of not stopped I really believe the snake would of just laid there and let me pass. I have seen others do just that. lay still and watch without doing a darn thing.
The old idea , don't mess with them and they will not mess with you.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
You’re more aware of snakes than I am. But while you might fely on “don’t bother them and they won't bother you” pretty much applies to snakes that hunt mice, frigs, birdes, etc. Pythons and anacondas hunt bigger gane, about the size of me and you. They don’t wait to be bothered. They wait for us to be near.

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hell Jack they are not a problem if they bite you. Just reach in your pocket and they will turn loose when you offer them a drink.

OK... I don't know if the guy was pulling peoples legs when he said to do this to get them to turn loose but I can't see why it would not work after all he is a professional snake hunter. By the way I'm in no big hurry to see if it's true or not.

His answer to the bite problem is to take a Miniature bottle of Vodka and dump it in the snakes mouth to make them to turn loose. Makes sense since the breathing tube is located right there and extended , then the burning of the alcohol in a Teetotalers mouth.

Just for the record books I carry a miniature of ( Smirnoff ) Vodka with me and it's 50 / 50 mix of vodka and White vinegar. Back when the wife and I were S.C.U.B.A. diving we would use that mixture to wash out our ears and stop any infection. It's become one 1st aid item I always have with me. Yes it does stop infections , ear aches and is handy as a ear wash to get any water out of the ear canal.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
They lock onto prey with their teeth stuck in. That forms an anchor point from where they wrap coils around prey, and then tighten.
Believe me, carrying a bottle kf vodka is about as useful as carrying a book of matches to light to burn or frighten the snake. If ambushed, your hands are going to be (1) trapped and useless, or (2) way too busy to screw around with a little bottle of vodka. You would be much better served with a knife ‘- if your arms are free.
Our sister squadron in Nam had a 9 1/2 foot python. Several times, when
Ilots went in to brief fkr a dawn takeoff, Ramrod dropped onto him from the open ceiling rafters. Fortunately, there were other guys coming in behind to get him off. He was on me, and it took 2-3 others, in addition to me, to get him off.
What I’m telling you is that, if one ambushes you, and you are alone, odds are he’ll successfully kill you.. Knowledge of, and methods to avoid, the four, smaller, poisonous snakes DO NOT APPLY to pythons. Don’t fool yourself. They are totally different.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As I said all I know is that he said it worked and I have no desire to try it and find out. I believe he was referring to get someone else loose but then it was never really explained or I wasn't paying attention , as usual.
By the way , my mistake ,,, Don't pour it in just a few drops will do.

As you said better off with a knife , if your arms are restrained a knife is useless just like the Vodka would be. .. Just thinking , by your self , there is nothing to lose by trying it if you end up in that fix. The snake would have to bite 1st , then coil so there is a few seconds to do something.

Personally the best thing with snakes that big is a long distance relationship and Mr.John Browning invented the best item for of communication at long distance , Long distance for the snake closer for me.

You mention the service and a group had one for a pet. There was a Navy Seal Team visiting on our base and they had one as a mascot ....Worked pretty good everyone stayed away from their quarters.

One of my Partners at the Sheriffs Office had one he keep in his home. He also had a couple of our native poisons ones along with some friendly Tarantulas. Guess it's something to have but I never saw a appeal in doing it , if anything I enjoy being away from all of them.

He also had a Amazon Gray Parrot that liked to beat up his cat. The cat tipped over the parrots cage one day. When Eddy got home the cat was hiding in a corner and the Parrot was standing on the floor calling the cat just like Ed did.