A Northwind Downunder | SouthernPaddler.com

A Northwind Downunder

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Far South Coast NSW Australia
I have finally fitted out my Northwind and given it five coats of varnish and I reckon it looks pretty good :D :D :D :D 8)

DSC01543640x428-1.jpg

DSC01527640x480.jpg

DSC01528640x428-1.jpg

DSC01530640x428-1.jpg

Took it for a 10 kilometre paddle up the Wagonga Inlet and I am absolutely thrilled with this boat. The water was really too smooth to give it a thorough trial, but I found the boat to be stable and swift. It tracked accurately with a double bladed paddle and also performed well with a single blade. One thing I really love about the boat is the large cockpit. With my dodgy knee I have a lot of trouble getting in and out of kayaks, even the large cockpit Okwata, but the Northwind is a breeze.
I hope to give a more detailed report when I've had a chance to really give it a complete test. One thing I am sure of however, is that this boat will be a keeper.

Roger

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Roger, you have a boat that is not only designed well, it is also made well. You did a very creditable job there. You'll find the JEM Northwind to be a "swamp to sea" boat. You can start in an upland swamp, go down the creek to a river, and out to sea with this craft.
If you have access to a map of Michigan, take a look. I have several friends who have paddled clear across the state (with some portaging involved) in several locations. They used a Sea Wind from Kruger canoes, the boat the Northwind is crafted after. Your Northwind will take you almost anywhere. And, your boat is nicer to look at than a Sea wind.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Roger said:
I have finally fitted out my Northwind and given it five coats of varnish and I reckon it looks pretty good :D :D :D :D 8)

Roger

You reckoned correctly. 8)

beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Roger
Great job on the NW.She is a beauty.
The only problem you will have is how do you top this boat,I am not sure it can be done :shock:
After building in excess of 15 boats when it is time to hit the water the NW is the boat I grab.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Roger........

Beautiful job on the North Wind and I am sure you will find it paddles as great as it looks. :D
Like you , I like an open cockpit so it is easier to get in and out of. A kayak is a fight , for me , to enter and exit while a canoe is a breeze to do either. With the North Wind you will have the ease of entry and exit while the relaxed paddling of a kayak. The best of both worlds.

Chuck.