A ? Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

A ? Pirogue

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Not sure what to call it.
Bought some cedar picket fence boards, also known as sow's ear wood :roll: .

A different type of construction from my other builds. More work to do, but it is starting to look like a boat.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks guys.
It is a mixed up build. Clinker or lapstrake sides, carvel or planked floor, and a strip tumblehome panel. It has been quite an adventure.
Ron I have not put it on the scales but it seems light . I will try to weigh it after I finish it.

bee

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Bee, that’s really innovative Thanks for sharing. Problem is I’m not even smart enough to figure out how you did it. Any chance of some build pics and narrative? I know the pic thing is time consuming… But you started me thinking.
Good Fish’n
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Did not take pictures of every step but maybe these will help.
Building the floor:
Shape and how many boards

Straight edges and fitting the joints.

Shaping the floor

Chine log glued to floor, secured to strongback and the rocker set

The first plank is fitted to the chine logs and stems. It could be called the garboard since on a pirogue the whole bottom could be considered the center board. The flare and shape of the side strakes follow the shape of the chine log.

It's edge has to be planed to fit the angle of the next plank that rest on it. On a pirogue this is the only time this is needed because all the other strakes are at the same angle. It also has to have a tapered rabbet at each end, planed to 1/2 the thickness of the boards to allow the planks to fit flat at the stems. The next strake will have a matching one. The other stakes will be fitted the same. They are clamped and glued one at a time on the strongback.

The garboard is wider at the stems because of the rocker. all other strakes are the same width.

Strips for the tumblehome

bee

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
If you have more questions or I was not clear, I will try to answer.
The 7th. picture down in the last post is actually the planning of the garboard flush with the bottom. The planks lower edge is what has to be planed on an angle, so the next plank will fit tight.
I have read where it is possible to fill the gap with epoxy paste instead, but that would take the joy of using the plane away. :cry: It would also make the lap larger and out of proportion.
If you place all the planks on the table and make the laps as if you were going to assemble the side and then install it(like you would for SS&G panels), you will see that only the edge of the first plank needs planning, I thought of trying this but realized it would be difficult bending the side because it would be very stiff(similar to a plank build) .

bee

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
tx river rat said:
What do you think it will weigh?
Pretty work.
Ron

Finally finished all the woodwork and applied a saturation coat of epoxy.
The boat weighs 39.9 lbs.

beekeeper

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Pictures

White oak batter board

New cypress chair, with my first hand cut dove tail joints.

Needs final finishing but starting to look like something.

Breast hooks over eye bolts.

The boat weighs 39.9 lbs. The seat is 6.0 lbs.

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Hand-planed rabbets, contrasting matched wood accents and hand-cut dovetails.............Bee, you have become quite the craftsman! Very nicely done. The boat looks awesome

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My Grandpa JD done guud work. Even has an eye bolt on the inside of the stem ends. That's where he hangs a hammock when fish aren't biting. Momma Bee paddles another boat along side, so's she can bring him lemonade, and fan him whilst he snoozes. ;-)

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
WOW. That is a great looking boat. I love the curved stems you use. Thanks for posting the tutorial on how to do them. I have it saved for future use.