A shorter UJ Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

A shorter UJ Pirogue

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I was thinking about building another UJ pirogue. I want to build something shorter than my 15' 8" pirogue. One that will be easier to throw into the back of the truck without 10 minutes of tying down. I weigh about 225 lbs so how wide would I need to make the bottom if I did something in the 10' range? This one will be built with a lot less concern for longevity and I will not be fiber glassing it. Maybe the seems but that's it. Just paint, nails and glue. How thick should the plywood be for something like this?

Thanks,

Greg

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
oldsparkey said:
You might want to ask Uncle John. I have no idea but if the one you made works for you , why not the same for the shorter version.

Chuck.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to sink with my fat butt in it. That's why I wanted to bounce it off you guys.

Thanks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bluegrasslover said:
oldsparkey said:
You might want to ask Uncle John. I have no idea but if the one you made works for you , why not the same for the shorter version.

Chuck.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to sink with my fat butt in it. That's why I wanted to bounce it off you guys.

Thanks

I was going to say make the sides higher but that would not be nice. Not sure about a 10 foot one , I tried a canoe at 10 feet , it was like skating on thin ice for me.
You are entering into the twilight zone on this one. Let us know how it works out for you.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I built a 12 ft by 28 that was super stable and at that time I was 225

Wasnt a uncle Johns

IM001610.jpg

IM001631.jpg

Gave this one to my grandaughter.
Ron
A 10 fter is going to paddle like a bathtub. :D

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
tx river rat said:
I built a 12 ft by 28 that was super stable and at that time I was 225

Wasnt a uncle Johns

IM001610.jpg

IM001631.jpg

Gave this one to my grandaughter.
Ron
A 10 fter is going to paddle like a bathtub. :D

12' foot might be ok. That would be about 4' less than the UJ. What you built is exactly like what I was thinking. Shorter but with some decks. Looks awesome.