1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

A sign of things to come...

Discussion in 'Making your Own paddles' started by rpecot, Oct 7, 2012.

1. rpecot

rpecot Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And if you like that, you should see the expensive firewood I made right after this :oops:

2. Wannabe

Wannabe Well-Known Member

R,
    Did those shavings come from a planer? If so, what were you planing? :wink:
    Bob

3. rpecot

rpecot Well-Known Member

Hehehe... They did come off of a planer. A pain in the a$$ planer, if I might add. Both my tools and my skills are proving to be a little rusty. Here's hoping my "sign" is not an omen! :shock:

4. BEARS BUDDY

BEARS BUDDY Well-Known Member

That's going to take lots of epoxy to put back together. :mrgreen:

5. Wannabe

If he's good, he'll book match it. :D :D
    Bob

6. rpecot

rpecot Well-Known Member

Trust me, I'm not that good!

The day started out right when I found this in my mailbox:
    [​IMG]

I'm using ash for the shaft. I had milled one large board into two halves that I will hollow out to save a little on weight, then glue together. Luckily for me, I was able to get three halves out of that board because the first one didn't come out so good. :( As I said earlier, I'm a little rusty and it showed.

I marked out the area I wanted to hollow and set up my router. First one when well:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I started on the second half...
    [​IMG]
    It didn't get any better after that:
    [​IMG]
    When the router bit, it must have nudged my fence. I didn't think to re-check it. :( Having that hollowed out section off center will make the wall thickness too thin (if not non-existent).

Needless to say I was a little peeved. After an hour bike ride through the neighborhood, I've calmed down a little. Guess I will be heading back to Houston Hardwoods before I can finish this job.

7. Wannabe

Russ,
    If you have a table saw you could make a birds mouth shaft. Come to think about it I think Ron did one here while back. There is a formula you can use to size the strips with. You can even make a tapered shaft for a sail mast or whatever. I will try to find that. It's squrrelled away somewhere.
    Bob

8. tx river rat

tx river rat Well-Known Member

9. Wannabe

Ron,
    Thanks for that. I have not seen those before. The formula I had from years back you have to work out with impliments fron the past, pencil and paper. I like yours better. Thanks.
    Bob

10. makenmend

makenmend Well-Known Member

Thats the calculator I use to, have now made a number of birdsmouth items from paddle shafts to 25' main mast. 1st attempt was somewhatt frustrating, but with practice it's become almost fun (sadistic).

MM[url[​IMG]][/url]

11. rpecot

rpecot Well-Known Member

Baby steps...

I went' back to the lumber yard and got two pieces of milled ash, 3/4"x1-1/2"x10'. In the aftermath of my earlier screw-up, I recalled that I had built a router mortise jig for a "future" project. It would be perfect for this application. So, consciously trying NOT to rush myself, I laid out my lines on the new boards and prepped for the router. It went very well today.

Not a great pic of the jig:
    [​IMG]
    And the result:
    [​IMG]
    The plan is to trim down about 1/8" on either side of the wall thickness you see there. The paddle shaft will be about 1-1/4" diameter. I left 20" at each end un-routed for the paddle faces, as well as about 2" - 4" (depending on the final length) in the middle for when I attach the paddle ferrule.

Here are the two halves, glued up:
    [​IMG]

12. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

Russ, if this is to be a kayak paddle, consider not making the shaft round. A slightly egg shaped shaft feels a lot better in the hands, and is self-centering for blade angle in practical use. Aim the egg shape to lie "flat" in your hands. The long axis of the egg lies at a 90 degree angle to the vertical of the blades.

13. rpecot

rpecot Well-Known Member

Trying this again. After typing up an update, my 6 yo came over and closed my browser window before I could hit submit. :evil:

Anyway... slow progress. I glued up the paddle face laminations. That's maple, cherry, mahogany, and cherry again. Second pic is with mineral spirits.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

After you've glued up the material and it's setting in clamps is not the ideal time to start thinking about how you are going to cut up the wood. I don't have a bandsaw. The block of wood is about 4" thick. Problem. After thinking about it a while, I realized I have three things I could utilize to get the job done. 1. A pull saw. 2. A sanding station. 3. Time.

Here's the block, with the paddle face profiles marked up and some progress with the pull saw.
    [​IMG]
    One piece cut and sanded.
    [​IMG]
    Two pieces sanded and placed along side the paddle shaft.
    [​IMG]

14. Kayak Jack

You are one, determined, fellow. This paddle is going to be a family heirloom for several generations to come.

15. rpecot

rpecot Well-Known Member

Re: A sign of things to come... (lots of pics)

Wife + kids + holidays = not much time for Dad's projects.

I have managed to get some work in though. I sawed the hell out of that block of wood and managed to find 4 quarters of paddle blades in there. I earned 'em. That was some work there.
    [​IMG]

As of this morning, I've glued up both paddle halves.
    [​IMG]

Yesterday I cleaned up the excess material on paddle#1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started sawing out the inside, then saw how this was going to be a not-so-fun job.
    [​IMG]
    So I pulled out the spokeshave and started taking out some frustrations on that ash...
    [​IMG]
    That was fun, but yeah, I had to work for that too. Here's the final product (so far)
    [​IMG]

Blade shape. Drawn in Microsoft Visio. 103.8 sq in surface area (approximately :D ) All but a sliver of maple will get trimmed off. Oh well.
    [​IMG]

And of course, my little helper. Who, any day now, will be adding "two front teeth" to her wish list.
    [​IMG]

16. Kayak Jack

Nice paddles. Fantastic little helper.

17. rpecot

rpecot Well-Known Member

They have the right profile. Now I need to make them skinny. They're about 3/8" thick right now.
    [​IMG]

18. jdupre'

jdupre' Well-Known Member

Looking great, Russ. Right about now, you're realizing why they charge so much for custom wood paddles. :wink:

Joey

19. Kayak Jack

Boy oh boy, Grandpa Russ! Those sure are neato paddles. Will they be ready for Christmas? I'll get a lot longer stocking to hang up to hold'em. WOW!

20. rpecot

rpecot Well-Known Member

Haha! Don't you know it! I've spent about $50 on materials (if even that much), but you'd have to offer me an obscene amount of money to part with these right now. :lol: