A SIMPLE WINDSHIELD | SouthernPaddler.com

A SIMPLE WINDSHIELD

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Most campstoves, no matter what the fuel, benefit from being shielded from winds. Small cooking fires too. Here is a simple windshield you can easily build.

Materials: scrap plywood, duct tape, straight edge, pencil, saw, and Some coffee.
Start with a piece of scrap, 1/8" plywood, say, 12" X 24". Lay it flat. Sip your coffee.

Along one long edge, starting from the lower left hand corner, measure off and mark at 0" (the lower, left hand corner), 8", 14", and 22". Label these four points A, B, C, & D. Take another sip.

From the TOP left hand corner, measure and mark at 1", 7", 15", & 21", label each of these as 1, 2, 3, & 4. Sneak two sips.

Using a straight edge and pencil, draw lines connecting A and 1, B and 2, C and 3, and D and 4. With your saw, carefully cut along these lines to make three, trapezoidal pieces 12" tall, 8" along the bottom, and 6" along the top, and some scrap. Sit back, and count your fingers. If you still have the same number you started - with congratulate yourself. Drink some coffee.

Lay out these three pieces side by side, next to each other, with the 6" end up and the 8" end nearest you. Align the long sides so they are parallel. Keeping the long edges parallel, separate them by 3/8" gap. Another sip.

Run duct tape full length along each of these two, 3/8" gaps, evenly on both sides of the gap. Carefully lift, and turn over the assembled pieces. Again, run duct tape along the joints, applied evenly on both sides. Basically, you are done, finish off the coffee.

I chose to run also duct tape along the outside edges to prevent slivers in my fingers. And, I doubled up tape slong those 3/8" joints. I advise that you do this. You get another cuppa coffee if you do.

You can now fold the ends over the center - one end folded over on top with the other under on the bottom. This is the way to stow and carry it. Unfold it part way, and set it up with the longest side down, and shortest side up. Note that it doesn't stand straight, rather, it leans in a bit. This makes it more stable and less likely to fall over. It will sit, leaning in toward the stove, and is pretty solid. Start on that second cup of coffee.

Sometimes, I found that it shielded the breeze too well, and my stove was getting pretty hot. So, I drilled three lines of 1/8" holes along the bottom of the center piece. It lets through a measured amount of air for ventilation, but doesn't blow excessively on the stove or fire.

The unit has other uses too. I use it as a door step at my tent entrance. Finish off your coffee.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Bob, the best graphics are within an imaginative mind. Take a drink, sit back, and reread the item. Visions will float through your mind. One of them will be this windshield.

Your job, is to select the correct vision. Should you, or any of your team, be apprehended, the Secretary and I will disavow any knowledge of your existance. This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds. ;-)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sounds like a nice windscreen and there should be some sort of ventilation at the base of it to help keep the stove cool , especially canister ones. A totally enclosed canister or white gas stove can be really dangerous when overheated. If using a windscreen at lease have a couple of inches of free space between them to stop any overheating.

The nice thing about the wood burning stoves that I like to use is that the stove becomes the windscreen when I use a alcohol burner in it instead of a wood fire. Double duty items , no necessary for a separate windscreen.

Nothing is better then when one piece of gear does more then one job. Another good example is like you said when your windscreen becoming a door mat for the tents entrance. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A golden rule of camping is that each and every piece of gear has to be (1) critical [say, f'rinstance, a 1st aid kit or matches), or (2) perform more than one task.

However, my tinfoil rule of camping is that if it's handy, tasty, or comfortable - I'll probably need it. So, I take it along. . . . . sigh

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Wannabe said:
I will make one when it warms up a little. We are having an Artic Blast down here. It is supposed to get down to 37F. in the morning for a little bit. BBbrrrr. :mrgreen:
Bob

37F an arctic blast? 37 was our high yesterday. Right now it is 25 and snowing. In fact the snow makers are running full blast on the ski slopes across the valley.
And sadly, my orthopedic surgeon told me I won't be able to ski this winter :(

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Grandpa Paddler just to help you fell better about not being able to ski this winter the same thing has happen to me. No Christmas skiing this year for either the wife or myself. :twisted:
Our friends boat motor died so we will not be able to launch it and go water skiing. On the happy side the AC here at the house does work pretty good and is keeping us cool and in the Holiday spirit.