A somewhat bizzaro day.... | SouthernPaddler.com

A somewhat bizzaro day....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
So... it’s the season with the mailbox filled with catalogs I never asked for filled with crap I don’t need or even want... EVER! Then comes the pleas for money from at least six beggars today. Don’t get me wrong, I give to the Salvation Army, they take care of people in trouble at least in my community. I help the City Mission, we have a great one and just opened a homeless Veterans facility. What I found amusing today, a request and kit to send in my s#!t ...!!! A s#!t kit from my supplemental Medicare insurance company. Note that I don’t even know why I have supplemental Medicare insurance as the VA takes care of everything medical. I know it’s a good thing to prevent colorectal cancer but the VA already does that for me. So I’m wondering if I take a stool sample and accidentally sent it to one of these other charity’s I never heard of.... maybe I can get removed form the mailing list? Six of them today want money, one wants crap!
My laugh for today. Old minds are devious minds! Hope y’all had a laugh as well this Thanksgiving week! I have much to be thankful for and hope you do as well.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A few years ago, I heard of a couple of techniques to use for "charity beggars" who call or knock on the door. Respond to their plea with a slow, sad, "Awwww. . . . . Dad died last year." Followed by immediately hanging up, or closing the door in their face.

Method # 2, on the phone, is to say, "Just a minute!! Let me get paper and pencil to write this down! Lay the phone down, and walk away. About 10-15 minutes later, don't forget to hang up the phone.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Same thing here with all those dam catalogs. We get a stack every day. No joke the mail person always has a hand full of them , some days they fill the mailbox. She even mentioned one time that I should get a large mail box and I told her a trash can would be better.

Then there are the wildlife organizations I belong to that are always asking for money. One even got sneaky and made a charitable contribution look like a renewal , I discontinued them instantly. Still get letters from them wanting me to send donations to them. After the 1st one those letters go straight from the mail box to the shredder unopened.

Then there are the Animal shelters , Private organizations , political parties , candidates , Charitable organizations and others all with their hands out wanting money. I keep thinking of all the money they could save , just in envelopes and stamps , if they did not send all that trash out.

Now some state agencies are getting smart , They send out progress reports by e-mail and at the bottom of the article or questionnaire have a rectiangle area to click on for donations.

Now I'm getting phone calls and even mail from the extended car coverage folks wanting to sell me a policy to protect the car for the next few years. I have fun with the phone ones , I like to remind them my cars manufacture has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and I got the extended one so everything but the radiator cap is covered ( it also might be covered , but I'm not sure about it ) Making sure the caller knows I have 8 more years and 90,000 miles to go. They still call and send letters. lately they have gotten sneaky and make the letters look like its from the car manufacture. I send the empty envelope back to them. I wounder how long they take looking for that missing application which was never there.

This morning one called , He asked how I was doing and I told him... Walking out the door and hung up.

As far as the door knockers , I have a feeling they wished they never did that right after I open the door. For some reason the never hang around.

Hell , I don't belong to the democratic party and I even get letters from them asking for money.
Which brings me to the good old surveys ( political and private ) they want you to fill out. The answers to the questions they ask are really obvious. The last question is always How much do you want to contribute..... The whole survey goes in the shredded.