A thread for my many questions | SouthernPaddler.com

A thread for my many questions

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
OK here's the first one. Ive been reading the back pages and hear of glass bubbles in the fillet. What are these and what mix ratio?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
They are microscopic glass bubbles , they are used as a filler like you do with wood flour but they make the fillet a lot lighter in color.

I like to use some with the wood flour to lighten it as an accent over the seams , the amount you would want to use is strickley a personal choice.

The mix ratio is 100% to 0 % depending on what you want to do and what color or shade you want the fillet. They also make sanding the fillet a lot easier then using 100% wood flour.

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I was just over to Raka anyone used these Phenolic micro balloon? Useing the Hickory plywood and plan a light cherry stain I like the color of a reddish fillet.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I probably didn't read far enough at the Raka site. I'd say Pine wood flour with a little pigment to color. Sound right guys?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Red Cedar wood flour will give a real dark red fillet. you could try mixinf 1/2 cedar & 1/2 pine.

I don't care about the colour of my fillets so I just use whatever I have handy.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate, I collect mine from my shop from when I play with AWR (Australian Western Red Cedar)

Would your quarantine laws allow me to post some to you?

If not, I believe California Redwood is very similar. - beautiful stuff. Any of the commercial joinery, furniture or cabinet making shops should have heaps. You might need to strain it to get the bigger lumps out.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate, I think any fine wood sanding dust will do the job. Just what-ever colour you like. The Epoxy will stain it much darker than the bare timber,

I collect bags of it from my work, but most of it is an indonesian sub species of WRC - sirian. it goes very dark when mixed with empoxy and will stain bare ply badly. I try to protect my ply as much as I can with masking tape and a pre coat of clear epoxy before I start to stitch.

My first S&G build, a swampgirl turned out with dark brown/redish stains all over the ply from the stuff. It was a horrible mess.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I cut the strips to make the pirogue from the California Redwood I saved the sawdust. Sifted it later to get any chunks out of it.

Then when using the sander I saved the dust from the collection bag and off of me for fillet material.

It has a maroon / purple shade to it when mixed with epoxy , a color I really enjoyed using. Looked almost like some good grade dark wine. :lol:

Chuck.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
This is what Chucks redwood sawdust looks like
file.jpg

file.jpg

Thanks again Chuck! :D

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I think some experimenting on some scrapes of this plywood are inorder so as I can decide for myself. I'm not though looking so hold tight.