A Wild Fowl Supper All of the Year.. If you can do it. | SouthernPaddler.com

A Wild Fowl Supper All of the Year.. If you can do it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK ... All of you Duck, Dove, Snipe and Wildfowl hunters ... I have something for you to think about.

You are limited in your hunting with all of the restriction that we have today.

Now here is a way for you to enjoy what you like all year long and it does not require a license, just your enjoyment of being out there and getting a lot of wing practice alone with some good eating.

The bird I am referring to is a really wild creature and will require all of you smarts to bag it, something some of you might have trouble with, (Don't you just love a challenge). This is no joke the bird is really smart and in most areas can be hunted all year long unlike what you hunt when you can.

It likes grain of any kind and usually destroys the farmers crops and this is one reason it would be easy to get permission to hunt them, plus it is really quite good when cooked up just like the ducks that you would go after later in the fall.

Plus there is not a limit on them so you could get all that you manage to hit and not worry about the Game Warden Checking you bag limit.

NOW do I have your attention :?:

This bird can be cooked just like you do for your favorite Duck, Snipe or Dove recipe and it is bigger then the Dove and Snipe but smaller then a large duck .....about the size of a Teal, which is quite good and one of my favorites.

Before I will tell you what it is ..... think about this 1st...... You eat Chicken and it eats things worse then this bird does. You eat Pork and a hog will eat anything, alive or dead, fresh or rotten. Um Um Pork Chops and Fried Chicken. No social comments about that just some good social gatherings. Right.

Darn it wipe the BBQ Sauce off your chin when you agree with me. Didn't your mother teach you anything?

I like the breasts and sometimes the legs and thighs sauteed and then cover in tomatoes and onions with some garlic and simmered for a while, then over rice or noodles with garlic bread it is really out of this world. Just a wild supper that can be enjoyed all year long or whenever you are smart enough to get the meat for the supper.

All right I will tell you what this crafty OLE bird is and I am sure you will turn your nose up at the idea but as I said remember what it likes to eat, It likes Grain of all kinds, not weeds like the duck or the stuff I can't even say about the Chicken or Hog.

It is the CROW. Crow is good if you are smart enough to get them. It ain't easy and now I hope I have you thinking about it. If you do then enjoy your supper , it will be quite tasty.
Chuck.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Well ...... I don't know about the others, but I eat a lot of crow anyway -- expecially if I'm talking about my "fishing" prowess ........ :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
andrew

The ones I am talking about are really good .... Just soak the meat for a little while in some salted water and if you want to add some apple or apple juice to the soak , or anything else you like and then pat dry and cook.

Eating Crow can be a pleasure if you do it right. :D When the fall flights start then it is some good pratice for the duck season that will be right around the corner. A good time to check out everything from your camo and stealth to your shooting and in the process you can have a good supper.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Chuck -- I've never been much of a hunter, but I would occasionally get invited to dove hunts. To practice, we would hunt crows ...

We would park our truck under some trees, and spread out. Had a tape that was the sound of crows mobbing a hawk. Man, you turn that thing up and it called in crows from miles away!!!!

Now, you only had one or two shots, as crows have sharp eyes and are suspicious of ground movement. Once you fired, they would scatter, and would not come back a second time. That's OK, you just drove a few miles down the road and set up again .......

Farmers liked having you hunt the crows much better than they liked you hunting for other game ........ :)

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Eating Crow.

I'm guilty! Married 33 years, eating Crow for 33 years. Actually, My parents and grandparents are veterans of the the great depression, I remember groundhog, raccoon, squirrel and other varmin being prepared when I was young. Today, the local sportsman's clubs have a wild game cookout once a year and you can get just about get protein in any form that you want or maybe not want to. Chuck, with all do respect. I see crows in the middle of the road eating all kinds of unidentifiable road kill and if I was eating real crow, well, I'd be think'n about it. When I was a tadpole, the neighbor kid on the next farm had a pet crow, it was quite intelligent, I understand that crows are one of the most intelligent birds. I do eat venison as I am a deer hunter with bow and arrow but I have to admit I enjoy a great Del Monico nowadays with a bottle of cabernet. I may not make 34 years with the Mrs. if I start cooking other varmin from the great outdoors in her cookware. By the way, I don't how deer hunting is in the Sunshine State, but I also enjoy a stuffed deer heart, don't knock it till you tried it. Deer jerkey is also a wonderful treat while paddling.
Here is a toast to all who enjoy our exotic taste on this great forum of yours! :)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Heart and liver are the 1st things we enjoy after a successful hunt. Especially with some sauteed onions and all of the trimmings. Usually it is cooked up at camp in a iron skillet then the next night is venison steaks , southern style , naturally and everyone goes home full and happy.

Bow season starts this weekend down here for deer, hogs and wild turkeys. Mostly it will be the domesticated turkeys trying to get a deer. :lol:
That is why I plan on going the other direction and doing some camping just to relax.
Chuck.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Re: A Wild Fowl Supper, a bit of historical perspective

oldsparkey said:
[OK ... All of you Duck, Dove, Snipe and Wildfowl hunters ... I have something for you to think about.]
One caveat if I may. Crows are protected in some states. Be sure of your game laws lest ye be caught with egg on your face and be forced to eat Crow. :lol:
OK, bad joke out of the way I have some historical perspective for you. While few are aware of it at this late date many of the birds that are classified as 'Songbirds' were placed in that category by legislation in the late 19th or early 20th century to protect them from extinction by hunters, amatuer or professional.
Prior to that in many of the larger cities you could buy Robins, Meadowlarks, Blackbirds and many others, by the bird or by the barrel, at the wild game markets. They were considered as delicacies and featured on the menus of upscale restaurants as well as being sought by sportsmen and utilized by country dwellers.
Meadowlarks were considered a good upland game bird and were hunted with flushing spaniels trained to work within gun range.
And you have heard of 'Blackbird Pie' haven't you? It wasn't just a fanciful reference in a nursery rhyme. Chicken and dumplings is the modern equivilent.
I've eaten many 'songbirds' as a lad in the '40s & '50s of the last century and can personally testify that Robin & Meadowlark are excellent. In my mind Robin is the functional equivilent of Dove while Meadowlard matches the Quail quite well. Blackbirds too are great, whether in a 'Blackbird Pie' or treated exactly the same as a Dove.
I do not advocate that you dash out and knock down a few songbirds to see how they match your palate, but I do have an alternate suggestion. In many cities as well as farming areas the Rock Dove (proper name of the pidgeon and an introduced specie) has became feral and is a nuisance. They are excellent table fare, just check local game laws and ordinances before breaking out your own ordinance. Lest we forget, it was commercial market hunters that wiped out the Passenger Pidgeon in this country because the demand for the bird was so high. Yet we have an equivilent bird of the same general family that goes begging to the point of being a pest. If you need further impetus I have seen the vast accumulations of Pidgeon dung in deserted lofts and attics indicted for the spread of the pnuemococcus virus that causes pnuemonia. so if you want to perform a bit of public health work eat some pidgeons.
An even worse pest, unprotected anywhere so far as I am aware, is that ubiquitious import the Starling. And it is he that was the subject of the old English nursery rhyme, 'Four and Twenty Blackbirds Baked in a Pie'. The Starling was brought to this country by expatriate Brits and has proven to be one of the worst imports from the standpoint of displacing native species so thinning his ranks verges on a patriotic duty should you care to view it in that light. Like the pidgeon he too has been accused of spreading disease and is currently suspect in the spread of the West Nile virus.
Do check with your local authorities before availing yourself of any of the above. Anyone who knows me can testify that I am NOT responsible. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff said:
(SNIP) so if you want to perform a bit of public health work eat some pidgeons.

An even worse pest, (SNIP) is that ubiquitious import the Starling. (SNIP) The Starling was brought to this country by expatriate Brits and has proven to be one of the worst imports ...(SNIP)
Those are pigeons only until they hit the ground - then they become squabs.

The starlings are a "worst import" until compared to some who brought them. Most Brits came to America to get a good meal. No gritz in the UK.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas

Kayak Jack said:
[Those are pigeons only until they hit the ground - then they become squabs.]
Perzackly!

[Most Brits came to America to get a good meal. No gritz in the UK]
Jeez Jack, and I thought it was the potato famine that instigated the influx of Irish. Heck they were just in pursuit of a better grade of food. :lol:
BTW, thanks for correcting my spelling of 'pigeon'. It just didn't look right on my screen spelled that way until I saw it in your post. (Scratches head, spits and shuffles feet, wearing a puzzled expression the while)

A

Anonymous

Re: Eating Crow.

oldyaker said:
I do eat venison as I am a deer hunter with bow and arrow but I have to admit I enjoy a great Del Monico nowadays with a bottle of cabernet. Here is a toast to all who enjoy our exotic taste on this great forum of yours! :)

Friend oldyaker,

Mitey fine diet. Reckon Ole Doc Atkins 'n Mister Scardale hizownself wish they ate like you. Lance's son Jeff iz a huntin' son of a gun (bow too). He's a heap like a huntin' version of William Money who tole Little Bill that "yep, I'm de same William Money who kilt women 'n children.....reckon at one time 'er anuther I kilt bout evethin' that walked 'er crawled."

Well, ever year Jeff kills a heap more than hiz 'n hiz Dad's iceboxes kin hold so he fills mine up too.

At de Shadetree Medikle Clinik we been tellin' folks how good red wine iz fer bout a eon 'er two.

Warnin': Digressin' Comin'

In fact, ya'll ever heard of red wine in a can....fer bass fishin' fellas? Called it "Hiney Wine". They wuz Ole Clell 'n hiz brother who come up wid de idea. Figgered all de bass fishin' fellas would drink wine if it come in a pop top can. (Bet ya never seen a fishin' show where a fella pulls out a cork screw 'n yells "hey Jim Bob, pass me a wine glass".) Course not, but if he coulda yelled "hey Jim Bob, pass me the six pack of Hiney"?

Got purty famous in southwest Missouri.....say between Nixa 'n Branson. Fer a short time dey sponsored a shootin' team of pellet gunners with a stretch limo 'n cheerleaders. [I fergit what they called 'em, but it warnt the "Hinettes".] Limo didnt last too long az it wuz near wore out when they got it.

They fell on hard times 'n had ta give up sponsorin' competishun shootin'. They started a blues cafe 'n juke joint which done okay til a fire set 'em back agin.

Very few folks (cept down ta de bait shop) recall Hiney Wine 'n de Hinettes (I called 'em that cuz I fergit dey real name). I'm kinda surprized de chinamen aint started copyin' it 'n sellin' wine in a can ta fishermen. Dey copy everthin' else!

Well, I done rambled fer enuff....'n tried ta single space fer Ole Sparkey so I wont be usin' up Mister Gore's web.

best regards,

bearridge
Bodine Historical Wine & Blues Society

P.S. If ya ever run up on Ole Joe Paterno, give him my regards. Mitey fine fella......dresses kinda strange, but some folks sez I do myownself.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

bearridge said:
(SNIP) Warnin': Digressin' Comin'(SNIP)
Lord God I do love to read Bre'r Bear's posts. He's as fulla crap as a Christmas turkey. I'm somewhat of a bull shi - - er myself - but I like to hear a professional now and again.

We need Rothchild's Sewage and Septic Sucking Service to clean up after him.

OOoooo RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Keep it up, Olde Farte. You charge my battree.

A

Anonymous

Kayak Jack said:
He's as fulla crap as a Christmas turkey. I'm somewhat of a bull shi - - er myself - but I like to hear a professional now and again.

Friend Kayak Jack,

When I come upon dis place I knowed rite off it didnt have no "bs" softwear filter. Wanna know how? :D

best regards,

bearridge