Acetone... | SouthernPaddler.com

Acetone...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Didn't do this on the first boat....will do it on this second UJ's Perogie I'm helping with.....
What is the mix ratio for acetone to epoxy when using Epoxy/ Acetone saturation method?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am sure there is some formula for the amount but all I do is make the epoxy thin ( almost like water) so it is add it till it looks right and then put it on the boat for me.

I would say about 1 oz per a standard double pump (measure) of my measuring pumps. That is two pumps of the resin and one of the hardener.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I know that Old Yaker & Chuck already know this - others may not. ACETONE IS FLAMMABLE TO THE POINT OF BEING NEARLY EXPLOSIVE. It also is injested into the body if it gets direct contact with skin.

Be very careful if working with acetone. No open flames or pilots around. Stay away from things such as gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas dryers, electric heaters, etc. Work outside in a fresh breeze.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Jack you forgot to mention when using acetone also to stay away from certain geezers . I want call no names.
:) :lol: :lol:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
OK, Inquiring minds want to know!

!. Does it make a difference when you add the acetone? (Before or after the hardener?)

2. Does the acetone affect the curing time to any noticeable degree?

I ask, because I'm starting my build t his morning and could really use the info.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
FlaMike, Just make say a 3oz batch or whatever amount and add the acetone in a splash at a time AFTER you added the hardener and mixed. It will be as thin as you want by adding more or less but a slash goes a long way. Have fun! :wink: