actual weight added with glass/epoxy on kayak | SouthernPaddler.com

actual weight added with glass/epoxy on kayak

islandpiper

After years of putting it off I may be closer to sanding the piant off my Dennis Davis 17' touring yak and putting on some thin glass fabric and epoxy. My question is.....if the boat is 17' long, and from gunwale to gunwale under the bottom is 31 inches........then what will the added weight be for the glass/epoxy. Then I'll probably varnish it, so the finish coat is a trade-off.

As i have aged the )(&**&*& boat has gained weight just sitting in the barn, and I don't want to put lots more on it. When I built it years ago we were still in the 4" glass tape at the joints only mode, with paint on the bare wood, all polyester resin, no epoxy. That dates it right there.

Any help, or even guesses, will be welcome.

Thanks, Piper

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey Piper, I guess........................................Your going to get a lot of smart arse answers from some of the guy's. :lol: I could be wrong but you seem to have left the door wide open. I bet Matt will give you some good numbers though!

Have fun on your date with the sander! It seems like your never finished sanding.

islandpiper

Matt, I want to use cloth heavy enough to keep the pry from checking under the paint.....the seams have fairly heavy 4" glass tape inside and outside, so the hull and deck just need a little protection. I am guessing that the cloth needed is lighter than it would be to protect the corners, etc. .......I think i usually use 4 oz on pirogues and that would be plenty heavy.....what is your opinion?

If I was building now I'd probably only tape the insides and cloth the entire outside.

OK, let the smart arse answers begin....

Piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate to do the outside, only, you can count on somewhere between two and three litres of resin. I think 1 litre is close to a kilogram in weight. Add that to the wight of your cloth and it should give you a pretty good ball park figure.

I forget the conversion Kilos to pounds - sorry.

islandpiper

Mick, thanks! the violin business is all metric so I think in kilos already.

If I had been smart enough to weigh my last pirogue before and after the glass I'd have an instant guess for the reality of all this.

SO SOON OLD, SO LATE SMART........old German adage.

cheers, Piper (old Celtic musician)

JEM

to cover the entire hull exterior with 4 ounce cloth, you're looking at adding about 6-10 pounds. Depends on how heavy you apply the epoxy.

I used Mick's Southwind as a comparable surface area.

If just the lower hull, then about 4-6 pounds.