Advice Ideas for Keeping it Simple | SouthernPaddler.com

Advice Ideas for Keeping it Simple

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
I am making plans to build a pirogue with a grandson afflicted with autism. We usually build Uncle Johns with Grandkids, but we are a little concerned of handling so much fiberglass and epoxy. I’ve come to the conclusion that the stressed skin Herb Lite is the best option for this adventure, especially since the Herb lite is his favorite pirogue.
The herb lites have held up real well except for the 5.2 mm luan bottom with epoxy but no fiberglass. So enough back ground here’s the two questions.
• I’m planning on the bottom using 6” cedar fence boards glued like the normal strips, mostly to keep it simple.ie like a SS&G bottom covered with fiberglass, except the cedar strips about 6” wide by ¼” thick, anybody see a problem with this?
• On previous herblites I used epoxy to glue the frames and aluminum to the frame and will probably will do that on this project. I keep thinking the age old question: would P L premium or some other glue be safer and still work.

Thanks for any thoughts you might share concerning keeping it simple, but reliable. I’m looking forward to this project and will try to share it through a build post when it’s done.

Good Fish’n,

Andy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about the rest of the guy's but if I used 6 inch wide by 1/4 thick strips for the bottom I would epoxy the joints and run a 2 inch strip of light weight glass lengthwise over the joints for extra protection before glassing it.

Chuck............

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
oldbuffpilot said:
I am making plans to build a pirogue with a grandson afflicted with autism. We usually build Uncle Johns with Grandkids, but we are a little concerned of handling so much fiberglass and epoxy. I’ve come to the conclusion that the stressed skin Herb Lite is the best option for this adventure, especially since the Herb lite is his favorite pirogue.
Andy
Food for thought. You say building with epoxy is a concern but you conclude you want to build a boat that requires its usage. Building boats without epoxy is as simple as it gets. One only has to choose a different design and/or method. The Herb Lite may could be built without epoxy, someone who has tried it should chime in.
Consider cross bracing if you use planks in the floor. Don't overlook safety in choosing a design or material(glue, etc.) for a grandchild's boat.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have no comments on your boat, but do have a compliment for grandpa. Andy, you won't be building a boat with a kid. You will be building a kid with a boat. Good on ya!

As you build, you may discover variations required that weren't obvious at the start. The boat may end up heavier than planned, etc. Whatever it ends up, it will float and catch fish. Most of all, it will build stronger bonds between the young guy and his experienced, loving grandpa.

A tip o' my hat to you.