Alafia Challenge 2004 | SouthernPaddler.com

Alafia Challenge 2004

Pirogue

For the past six years, there has been an event held that brings together people of many backgrounds and ages, but all have a common interest. They have come to travel eleven miles down one of Florida’s beautiful rivers, experience a little friendly competition, and to ultimately celebrate their accomplishments with good food and music. This event is called the Alafia Challenge.

Created six years ago to bring attention to the Alafia River, the Alafia Challenge draws approximately 300 competitors for the eleven- mile paddle down stream from Lithia Springs Park to finish at Riverview Park. The race starts in one of Florida’s pristine springheads, and heads westward as a narrow, twisting stream with occasionally challenging rapids, eventually becoming a wide, tide influenced, well-traveled river. In the upper reaches, the riverbanks are lined with oak, bald cypress, and cabbage palm trees. Many of which hang precariously from the bank by their roots. Most of these trees will be doomed to fall into the river once the grip of their roots is loosened by the ever-present flow of water. Further down stream, the signs of progress and human’s encroachment begin to appear. Boat docks, houses, mobile homes and for sale signs become more visible. The increasing amount of trash gathered on the riverbank is a testament to the impact of this encroachment; but, looking past the debris, one still can see a beautiful river.

Early on Saturday morning, an army of volunteers is busy unloading the paddle craft from the steady flow of vehicles stopping at the launch site. Soon, a rainbow of canoes and kayaks covers the riverbank. The racers are walking around and gather in small groups. Many are old friends discussing the last year’s event. Others are comparing boats and talking about boats they would like to own, and yet other people are meeting new friends. There are professional racers concentrating on how to beat the race clock, adventurers looking forward to the scenery, and first time paddlers anxious about what is yet to come, waiting for the starting gun. But soon everyone will join in the race down stream.

Eventually, the rainbow of boats has moved from the riverbank to the water. With a thunderous boom of a canon, the race begins. The canoes are the first to launch. Lined up in rows of five, the canoes are pushed down stream by the volunteers. Some paddlers, unsure of their selves, struggle to keep their boats from flipping over in the sudden acceleration. In the air, arms flail about as the racers try to get a grip of water with their paddles. Canoe bumps into canoe, racers get hit with paddles, and people get splashed with water as the racers jockey for a head start. Once the canoes are headed down stream, the kayaks are next to launch. In due time, everyone is safely headed down the river and the park becomes it’s normal, quiet self again.

On the river, the action continues. The first quarter mile brings paddlers two hard turns and the first set of rapids. This spot normally catches the novices off guard and someone is almost always sure to get wet. The first victims appear to be two soldiers. As they attempt to navigate the rapids, their canoe takes a turn to the side, and in the blink of an eye, the canoe is turned over by the current. The soldiers surface, and as they are laughing at their lack of paddling expertise, they attempt to gain control of the canoe in order to finish the race. Other paddlers pass by, some laughing, others offering assistance, and yet more paddlers are quietly snickering while they enjoy the mistakes being made around them. But everyone appears to be having a good time. As the race progresses, people are starting to fatigue and others are trying out their strategies. At one point, a canoe is trailing another canoe by ten yards. The paddlers in the lead canoe try as they may, but they cannot gain any ground on their competion. Eventually they give up, only to be passed by their pursuers.

About two hours later, most of the racers have arrived at Riverview Park. Many people get out of their canoe or kayak and walk around on wobbly knees while they try to get their land legs back. Other paddlers hop right out of their craft and head up to get a bite to eat from the food tent. Two local eating establishments have catered the event, and the food is bountiful. Chicken wings, wraps, alligator tail, and various salads are set for the taking. Entertainment is provided by reggae band named Democracy. The racers are enjoying the music and food while they watch the stragglers limp by the finish line.

Next, the awards ceremony is set to begin. The guest of honor is the newly elected Sheriff of Hillsborough County, David Gee. As the Sheriff is introduced, the band breaks into their rendition of Bob Marley’s “I Shot the Sheriffâ€Â

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep ... Did not go....missed it...... They do have fun over there but for me I like a river where it is all to myself and no bumper boats. Besides if my memory serves me correctly last year pirogue took a cut or gouge in the bottom of his canoe from those rapids which caused some damage.

Now if I just can get this thing finished up so I can spring it on that Nawth Krackerliner when we are on the river, then I can have that river all to myself. :)

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Hey Chuck! Did I tell ya that I have been making cracker boxes for Civil War Re-enactors? Yep! And one can be made to fit you! :shock: :lol:

swampy

I remember you wanting to be in this tri-athalon thingy but faded out after the first training day..... :lol: :roll: :twisted:

swampy