Allegheny River, PA | SouthernPaddler.com

Allegheny River, PA

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
25 - 29 Sep 05. Bud Hart and I traveled from East Lansing MI to the KOA Campground just W'ly of McKean PA. This was Day 0. On Day 1 we went to Warren PA and put in. Four days later we took out in Tionesta PA. I'll divide this report into categories.

PEOPLE: People are people; the ones we met ranged from great to disappointing. The very first day we reconnoitered Warren for information about exactly where the put in point is. “That’s owned by the state Fish & Game Commission. They’ll arrest or fine you if you use it. Your boat isn’t registered in Pennsylvania.â€Â

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
GOVERNMENT: Sorry, this category is the sorriest I’ve ever run into. They work hard to foil people, rather than facilitate what we do. Sigh. Public servants are supposed to be just that.

Jack

I thank you for your mentioning about the Government workers, it looks like you meet some that use to work at the Okefenokee National Park and moved to your area.

Those idiots only want your deposit then the money for the trip and have no knowledge of the area.

They let us take out on the one trip, We told them about how we were going to get to the campsite ...a 12 mile paddle one way, They never told us that the way we were going on that the one canoe trail was closed due to no water. They said is was easy paddling. :roll:
Guess what we did .....paddled ..... pushed the boats and cussed on ... the closed trail to the campsite. :twisted:

Now keep this in mind ....as you read the rest. They did, with big smiles :) tell us that if we are not back by 5PM the following day then they would have to come out and look for us and the charge is $500.00 per hour. So much for your tax dollars being put to good use and I am sure we were set up for a fall.

Then on a different trip, just the flip flop ..... the whole area was flooded, we paddled thru the tree tops to get to a flooded campsite with a Gazillion coons on anything dry. :x
Then on the way back took a wrong turn up a channel for about 4 miles ..... to make a long story we were worried that they would be out looking for us and then we would have to pay for that expense......for the search & rescue efforts. That channel was nothing more then a open area between the tree tops.
I finally found the right way to go, thru the tree tops and made it to an area where you can launch a motorboat. By the way that area was under about 5 feet of water and we paddled over the ramp , parking area , restrooms and up the paved road before getting to dry ground.
Getting there after the sun set we were really happy and so were the skitters. Darkness in the Okefenokee is a good thing if you want to have all of your blood drained from your person. :evil:

Now we only had a short, simple, easy, no problem , 6 mile hike in the insects and snakes to the campsite down the paved road........ Yep Those Government park rangers and employees were really worried about us being overdue by several hours.... They did not care or could have given a chit about us. :twisted: By the way it was at 11 PM when we got to that dry ground. Later we found out all of them went home or what ever they do on the off hours.
When we asked about the search fee they said they would of looked for us if we were two days overdue. That is 48 hours later and some Gator would of just been passing gas and picking his teeth by then. The place is full of them in the 12 to 14 feet length.

Government employees ... :twisted: ......are nothing more then folks on government welfare and only care about there paychecks. I can honestly say that everytime I have been there all I have met, talked to are smiling, agreeing idiots that do not give a chit about you and this is a shame since it is one really beautiful area to paddle and enjoy.

If I was lucky and could manage the place I would have every one of them out there paddling, camping and hopefully letting a gator eat them so I could get anyone who cares in to replace them. I really think our Government & Georgia believes in hiring anyone on welfare and there parents don't have to me married. The B@$(@%^$. :D

When we were telling about the troubles on the water and that cell phones do NOT work in the swamp all they were interested in was watching a couple of gaors maiting out in the marina area. My guess is that is that is as close as to sex they get since there brother died.

Chuck.
ME ... MAD .. Never .. I just hate stupidity and stupid people who should be helping people enjoy a vacation , not trying to kill them or wreck there good times.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Kayak Jack,

That wuz a mitey sad tale. :cry:

regards,
bearridge
bodine river keeper

Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them.
Ed Howe