Allen's boat

JEM

AlHull1.jpg

AlHull2.jpg

AlHull3.jpg

Allen

Jan 17, 2004
central florida
thanks for posting those pics for me Matt ! i couldnt figger out how to get em up there for the life of me.

well , there is the $50 boat i layed up for the boy. see what happens when a good ol' boy is broke and has to come through for his kid? country boy can survive...

A

Anonymous

Friend Allen,

Ya done good. Nice boat, nice kid. Never seen a kid look so much like hiz daddy. Looks like yer gwine ta do jest fine in psychology. If them crazy folks dont git well, beat the snot outta 'em.

regards,

bearridge

P.S. I really like yer John Boy 'n Billy paddlin' boots. I wear mine ta work near bout ever day.

Speakin' a John Boy, this mornin' they tole how James Brown (age 70) whupped hiz wife agin over ta Aiken. Well, Billy figgered it wuz jest a stunt fer the new "Bartles & James Brown Wine Cooler". They run the ad 'n I got outta my truck laughin' so hard I figgered all the ole folks in them apartments behind the office likely figgered I wuz nuts. It wuz quiet 'n still 'n cold, but there I wuz laughin' away while Ole Mister Bartles sez hiz new flavor "Papaya" 'n then James comes on 'n sez "Papayas got a brand new bag.....ooooooooooowwwwwww uhhhhhhh!"

Reckon ya gotta hear it. The html dont take so long ta open up.

http://bigshow.com/

Pirogue

I like those lines on the hull.

From the first picture, it looks like the same type of design on some tupperware. I'd have to guess it is pretty stable.

Just an idea is to build a small for an aft deck to create a SOT. You may have to drop the bow just a peice though.

Nice boat.

Allen

Jan 17, 2004
central florida
she sure shaped up to be a beauty in my opinion!

i think the 16' is a decent size for 2 men and gear

i want to build a one man version ( 12?)

then a high capacity version ( 18' ? )

as far as being a sit on top , im going to make these boats in two different styles - one would remain open for more leg room and space, the other would have the lower hull decked over for flotation and have hatches for some storage space. anyway , thats the thought i had stuck in my head when we got started talking about this design and kicking ideas back and forth. :)

she looks real fine to me Matt :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That's a nice looking design. Matt, what would you think of the 15' 10" model with fore and aft decks to leave a solo cockpit of, say, 4' length? A coaming around the cockpit so a guy could add a spray skirt if desired for high wind/ rough water would make a helluva good knock-around boat. Paddling, camping, hunting, fishing, even sailing.

And, I'd definitely think of 1/8" with glass inside & out.

This isn't for me, this is an overhead question.

JEM

Decking could easily be added to include some cockpit coaming. It would add weight to the boat though. Not sure exactly how much.

1/8" with 4 ounce inside and out will get you a lighter boat than 1/4" Eurolite and be a little stronger. Higher cost and slightly more tricky to build. Not too bad though.

The decking option is a good idea. I'll add that to my list of things to do. If anyone buys the plans before it's included, I'll send the decking option drawings via pdf.

Thanks Jack!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
You're welcome, Matt. I just keep coming back to Verlen's designs. His hull in 1/8" with glass inside and out would be a world class boat for home builders. His design already IS a world class boat. It just needs to be translated into something for stitch & glue. Probaly protected by patents etc.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Kayak Jack said:
You're welcome, Matt. I just keep coming back to Verlen's designs. His hull in 1/8" with glass inside and out would be a world class boat for home builders. His design already IS a world class boat. It just needs to be translated into something for stitch & glue. Probaly protected by patents etc.

What Verlen are you referrig to? Verlen Kruger, by chance?

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Kruger canoes

I have a close friend who is infatuated with Kruger Canoes. He has owned 4 of them (down to 2 now) and even worked with Verlen building them for a couple of years. The hull has over 5 kevlar laminations and is almost indestructable. My friend has done everything in his power to get me into one but so far I have resisted. My frugal nature would not allow it. Besides, I don't plan the type of expeditions that require such a specialized craft.

One aspect of the Kruger design I have heard mentioned often is there are "no corners for water to grab". Without many, multiple chines I don't see
how a true Kruger canoe could be made stitch and glue, stripbuilt maybe.

JEM

I believe there is a very slight v-point at the bottom keel. But if there isn't, I could still do one that is very close to no corners/edges.

It also looks like he has a traditional kayak edge on the ends. You'd have to have some otherwise tracking will be an issue.

But I think I have an idea of how to do it. Not that hard to construct. You'd need a jig to help with the shape but nothing extravegant.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
JEM said:
It also looks like he has a traditional kayak edge on the ends. You'd have to have some otherwise tracking will be an issue.

Tracking IS an issue on the Kruger. That is why they mount rudders.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
hoz said:
(SNIP) Tracking IS an issue on the Kruger. That is why they mount rudders.
Hoz,

I think you'll find that they track pretty well. Too long a hull to not. The primary reason for the rudder is to facilitate paddling with a single blade paddle. Paddlers work on only one side rather than wasting effort in J stroking or time switching. Instead, they are propelling the boat forwards. Adds more speed than the rudder adds drag.

Would our buddy be Mick Woods?

JEM

I paddled a Sit On Top that was supposed to be a bear to keep straight. My paddle stroke for a dual blade has the center of the paddle handle almost perpendicular to my knees. Then I rotate the paddle like you would if your hands were peddaling a bike. I'm pushing and pulling at the same time. Kept a mighty fine track and wasn't tiring.