An "Oh Crap" moment | SouthernPaddler.com

An "Oh Crap" moment

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
A real "oh crap" moment!

His request approved, the Fox News photographer quickly used a cell phone to call the local airport to charter a flight.

He was told a twin engine plane would be waiting for him at the airport.

Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a hanger. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the Door shut, and shouted, 'Let's go .'

The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind and took off.

Once in the air, the photographer instructed the pilot,`Fly over the valley and make low passes so I can take pictures of the fires on the hillsides.'

'Why?' asked the pilot.

'Because I'm a photographer for Fox Cable News,' he responded. 'And I need to get some close up shots.'

The pilot was strangely silent for a moment.

Finally he stammered, 'So, what you're telling me is . . . You're NOT my Flight Instructor? :shock:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
When I was taking flight lessons ,I figured I had at least a couple more hour of instructions and flight time with a trainer.
I was doing some touch and go landings on an old air strip and my instructor told me to taxi to the end of the runway ,figure he hand a nature call. Well he got out stuck his head back in the door and told me your ready ,take her up for a few minutes and then come back and get me.He then walked over and sat down under a tree pulled his hat down like he was going to take a nap. I will never forget that feeling ,excitement and also the temptation to tell him to get back in the plane
Ron

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Got my PPL at Showalter Flying Service in Orlando in 65. The day of my solo, my instructor and I were doing our thing when he said , just follow me through. We were at about 4500ft over Lake Eola [it is, or was, a round lake with a fountain in the center of it in Orlando. He then slowed the plane down , stalled it and slammed in the rudder. After watching the town go around twice, he applied opposite rudder, eased out of the dive and climbed back up. Said OK now you do it. My first attempt failed to start the spin so here we go again. The second time I added a bit of power at the stall, applied full rudder and went into a fine spin.

After that we landed and he said, you're ready take her around for two T & Gs then land.

All was going well until I started to ask him a question and realised he wasn't there.

That was over 25,000 hrs ago and:

I'll never forget that feeling.