anchor trolleys | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

anchor trolleys

islandpiper

I know I sound like an old farte, but anchoring a small, narrow boat at both ends is a dangerous thing. Notice, if you anchor a canoe at one end, and rather suddenly lean and dip one gunwale deeper than the other, the boat responds by "sliding" away from the low gunwale. Anchor both ends and the boat responds by filling and dumping you. I'd rather sit in a full canoe than a full yak. And, I rather not swamp anything I'm riding in. Think hard before you restrain BOTH ends. piper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Piper
I will go farther than that ,there will be no anchors at all in my boat . I have seen a couple paddle craft become submarines in a hurry that way,now I deal wih current and a little wind. A boyo are a lake might be different.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The only time I ever had an honest to God anchor in my canoe was when I paddled down in the Everglades National Park , they mandate that you have one with you. I never saw anything in the Park Rule Book that said you had to use it.

I would take one line and tie off to the Mangroves so the boat could swing with the tide or any wind when staying ( taking a break) in one spot and not at camp. Same thing I do on the rivers around here , either find a quiet spot or sand bar to take a break or tie off to a small branch that has some give to it. Preferably in the shade. :D A long bow or stern line allows you to do that , tie off to a branch and keep the lose end in the boat so you can get back to untie it.

To slow the canoe down on a river ( drift fishing) the standard thing is to drag a piece of chain off the boat. It does not get hung up on anything and is easy to retrieve.

Chuck.

islandpiper

I like that drag chain idea. But, it is still a chain when you bring it back into the boat.

I wonder if a fellow could find the right container which would have a handle and a big mouth. Big enough to put sand and gravel into, and then dump back out. Voila! instant anchor, and dumpable, disposable, variable weight, etc.

TRR: i remember several headlines in Northern Wisconsin describing drowned fishermen who spun their canoes on anchor lines. And, tying off to the middle is not the answer either unless the question is: "How can we fill the boat with the river the fastest way?"

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
I wonder if a fellow could find the right container which would have a handle and a big mouth. Big enough to put sand and gravel into, and then dump back out. Voila! instant anchor, and dumpable, disposable, variable weight, etc.

piper

For the folks that live in the rocky areas , they make a mesh bag you stuff some rocks in and use it as an anchor.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Loose ropes tied ta a boat worries me too....if the water iz movin'. How bout a rope that floats.....with a float at the end, followed by a big scoop like a empty, plastic milk jug? Make it all stay on top of the water where ya kin keep a eye on it?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear...

Ya have seen how I do it , attach the rope or line to the bow , ( the hand hold inside the boat at the bow ) bring it back over the gear in the boat and have it coiled up right in front of me , nothing hanging over the side or able to get caught up in anything.
It is right there if you need to grab or use it.

Even in the fast rivers we have down here it works good if you can call these rivers fast . :lol:

Chuck.