anchors for pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

anchors for pirogue

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I've been fishing a few times in the pirogue and found that I need an anchor( or two). I tried just dropping one over the side but it allows the boat to swing about and get out of position. Next I tried a make-shift trolley system ( didn't want to drill holes just yet) and that was a little better but didn't allow for good boat placement. I'll be doing a bit of fly fishing and boat position is critical. Today, I tried another temporary system and I think this is the way to go. I used anchors deployed from the bow and stern, controlled from the paddler's seat. Ropes run through a ring at the bow and stern and the anchors can be hoisted up out of the water from my seat.
carportanchor.jpg

anchorcloseup.jpg

anchortieoff.jpg

Only had the one cleat but will add another for the rear anchor on the opposite side. Might look into one of the those quick release anchor cleats, also. I will install permanent rings of some kind when I'm finished tweaking the system.

Later

Joey

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I use a simple trolly on my yak. I clipped a cheap biner to the bow and stern ropes. Then ran rope or 550 cord through both biners. Next tied a bowline in each end of rope and clipped a 3rd biner to the ends of the rope.

I drop my anchor, clip the anchor rode into the biner and run to either bow or stern.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
islandpiper said:
Jdupre', i remember fellows flyfishing and drowning 'way up north using two anchors, one each in bow and stern of the canoe. Seems they make the canoe roll rather than skittle sideways and dump the solo fisherman out.

Proceed with caution buddy.

piper

Really? Man, I was about to use this kind of system on my pirogue. Is it really unsafe?

islandpiper

When either floating freely or anchored at one end a small boat of canoe dimensions will respond to a quick, "off center" move, like jerking on a snag or casting a bait, by moving sideways. If restrained at both ends, it may respond by rotating around the center of mass.

Try this: with the boat floating freely at a dock, press down suddenly on one gunwale. It is likely the boat will move away from the low gunwale. Imagine having both ends pivoting on a fixed point, e.g., the anchor ropes and you can imagine having you, your tackle box, cell phone and camera all in the water.

Do as you wish. I'll settle for one anchor only.

Piper

I've fished out of plastic canoes all my life and the drift sock out the back with anchor out front works like a charm. Even in places where you think the water is stagnant and not moving there is some current to affect the drift sock. They are simple to DIY, just an open both ends cone on a string. They are really good at slowing down your drift in wind when not anchored too. I also use one with power boats as well

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Piper, just got back from a fishing trip and used both anchors. I did quite a bit of moving around in the boat and I didn't notice any strange behavior. Now in swift water, waves or boat wakes things might be different. It warrants consideration. Thanks for the heads-up.

Joey

PS: Caught a half dozen bluegills but had to resort to using a VOSI(Vertically Oriented Strike Indicator). And, do NOT call it a bobber. :wink: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I don't use an anchor , just drift fish with a fly rob or ultra light spinning. If a hot spot comes up I paddle a short distance into the weeds , leave the part of the boat I'm in exposed in the clear water and cast.

If there is nothing going on then I like to take a 16 foot pole , run out about the same amount of line and with the butt of the rod in the crook of one leg and with the pole over the other one paddle slowly so the lure is just outside the weed line. The leg the pole is over controls the height of the rod tip. The speed (or lack of it ) you paddle determines the depth of the fly.

The pole is a fiberglass , telescopic , crappie pole and the lure is usually a wet fly.
www.cabelas.com/ ...... Telescopic Panfish Poles
Item:IJ-115800

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Joey,
Not knowing about putting pictures on here I EMailed the picturs to you. Lordy, I hope there not too big. Post them on here if you want. I just went whackety whack on it to give you an idea of what it is. Take a little time and care and you can make them good looking if you don't try to use your forge and hammer. :roll: :D
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Chad, your original post of your system is what got me started. I tried a version of it, but it is not as flexible as having two seperate anchors. Not much current to contend with here, so I like to anchor pointing in to the bank which is more comfortable for me. Two anchors makes that a snap. You just watch the wind , anchor the appropriate anchor first and let the boat swing around until you get it just right and drop the other anchor.

Wannabe sent me some pictures of a jam cleat made from PVC which I'll try. Neat idea.
jamcleat.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Chad,

What the heck iz wrong? Where ya been? I wondered if the bad weather had dealt ya a bad card when I left Ole Ike's Highroad at the University of the Ozarks last week.

regards
bearridge

ps I see somebody iz still rockin'. 8)

If black boxes survive air crashes, why don't we make the whole airplane of the same material? Anonymous

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
In the rivers here I won't use an anchor at all . With the curent we have here I have seen several yaks play submirine and as far as anchoring on the side do not do it wth any current, had to help in a search for guy that did and he didn't make it also anchoring on the side in current tends to roll the top of the boat upriver and that means a boat full of water fast.
In the lake I use a drift sock if I am drift fishing otherwise my paddle keeps me where I am going, in the shallows I have a pole that will stick in the bottom to hook to
Ron

no disrespect but....the guy didn't drown because of how he anchored, he drowned because he probably wasn't wearing a PFD and was a poor swimmer.
The only downfall I've ever exoerienced anchoring from the side is the boat swingin side to side in the current. Never seen one roll personally...not sayin it can't happen tho