anchors for pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

anchors for pirogue

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Did you notice the drum set in CCR's pictures BR Bear? Anybody thinkin Southern Paddlers band?

How deep of water you anchoring in Joey?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Belly buster
The guy was wearing a pfd and what happened was the front anchor hung up he raised the back anchor and paddled forward to try to get the anchor loose in his manuvering around he got the anchor line over the nose of the boat and as he floated back trying too work it off it tightened and flipped the boat there was a brush pile below him that the current wedged him in and took him under we don't know if he was awake at that point.
and anchored on the side is just like leaning into a wave that hits you from the side can be a wet experience. I am not saying these methods want work just from my experiences I want be practicing them. :lol:
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I guess I'm just used to the slow moving bayous around here and current plays almost no part in any activity done on the water. If you were to walk up on an unknown bayou it would take the better part of a minute to tell which way the current was moving. :)

I just don't think two anchors pose any threats, especially when they are almost straight down below the boat. They weigh 5lbs apiece and have just enough hold to keep the pirogue in one place and not severely restrict any movement by a large wave or wind. Heck, if I want to change my position a few feet, I just pull up one a couple of feet and give a few good strong paddle strokes and drag the other one to the new position. :)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD
I am a firm believer in locations dictate what you do , and in my post I was careful to state on the rivers I paddle, every place has its own unique conditions and I can just run my mouth on my part of the world I come down to your country I will be watching the guys there and following there lead.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
tx river rat said:
JD
I am a firm believer in locations dictate what you do , ..........

10-4 on that, Ron. If I were to go on your Brazos River, I would defer to your experience of any dangerous situations. "When in Rome .............."

Joey

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey there Guy's, I have been knee deep in a large tile job ( 320 sq. ft.) and so many other chores I can't mention. This is the first time in my life I wish I was three feet tall? :lol: (oh my aching back)

I wish I was out in the boat instead. Soon enough though. I miss all of you miscrients and will try to get back to harass all of you soon. 8)

Chad

Shacked

Apr 19, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Scotty Anchor system and Ankle weights

http://allwatersfishing.com/product_inf ... s_id=15053

Scotty makes a real good anchor system, have this system attached to my stern and instead of using a metal anchor, I bought a set of 5 lb. ankle weights from any sports supply store. Weight is incased in nylon and will not beat on your boat and make a bunch of noise or scratch up your finish. System locks in place either deployed on the bottom are pulled up and locked on the Scotty system, no cleats required.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Shacked, that's a neat anchor sytem. I guess I'm just cheap- I use a couple of rings from Ace Hardware and a couple of scrap wood cleats. I DO like the ankle weight idea- no noise and no damaging the boat.

Joey