and let the camoflauge begin! | SouthernPaddler.com

and let the camoflauge begin!

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL
had a chance to do some artistry today and I finally decided that I would camoflauge my bayou skiff. Went to Home depot and picked up some Rustolleum spray paints and here is what I got so far :D

IMAG0110.jpg

and the daughter checking out my handy work

IMAG0111.jpg

going to try and start on the inside tomorrow before work and then I'll be putting the graphite on the bottom as soon as I get a few cooler days

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
skyrock going to be a nice looking boat. I like that camo pattern. with the camo on it you going to use it any for hunting or just fishing?

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL
A few more pics after painting the inside. The bow was left unpainted because I will be adding a deck and dry storage compartment there

in reply to catfish I will primarily be using it for fishing since I do not currently own a gun.

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL
so far that was about 5 cans, I bought 6 cans and have about a half of dark green and brown left. To get the pattern I went out into the backyard and cut the biggest leaves I could find where were a few baby elephant ear leaves and then some random tree. Also cut a few limbs off a palmetto. it was the 1st time I had attempted to camoflauge anything this large. my prior camo experience was painting model aircraft when I was in high school. much different process. and the nice thing about the camo paint is that if it gets scuffed you can just re-spray it

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Do you spray a base coat over the whole boat first and then spray over the leaves(decals) with other colors? If so, in what order?

Thanks
beekeeper

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL
yes, on the outside I sprayed a coat of dark green first and the light green over the big leaves, then I did brown over the palmetto branch, just alternated the leaves around to give it a "random" look. On the inside I did a basecoat of light green then brown over the leave with the dark green over the palmetto. I did not get the official camo colors that they sell because they cost more, I just picked out 3 colors that looked like they go together well.

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL
Finally had a chance to get her inside the garage and get the graphite bottom painted on. It has either been too rainy or too many bugs outside to get anything done so I cleared out enough space in the garage to squeeze myself around the boat and got 3 layers of epoxy / graphite painted on. Still trying to decide if I want to leave it slick glossy or give it a very light sanding to dull it down. My thought is it would be more water resistant if I left is glossy.
IMAG0134.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It will get scuffed up from use. Sanding it all you are basically doing is removing a little graphite and epoxy skin getting down to the larger amount of graphite that is mixed in the epoxy.
I have noticed a slight difference between the sanded and the non sanded but not enough to warrant sanding it anymore.
If you decide to give it a light sanding wear some old , really old clothes and a dust mask. The graphite dust will get everywhere and getting rid of it is a trick by itself.