And Now, A folding Pirogue.... | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

And Now, A folding Pirogue....

keith

i think all of you have some good points, but you are trying to overbuild. like a mack truck and a (no-name) little car. why would you build it ?, weight or space/size. how strong does it have to be, and it ant made for white water, a one piece would be stronger but want fit in that little car and a two piece with a bunch of wood braces and 10# glass weighs to much. your trying to compromise and get by. as now on your pirogues you have a bottom and sides with a chine, when you join the two sides together its stronger than when separated, like two hands together. later keith

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Right, they are a flat water boat. Mixing a nested boat with white water is - like an aluminum canoe under ANY conditions - something to be done only if fleeing an advancing enemy.

The bolted joints will be the weak spots of the craft. The one I saw in Canada was to fit inside a Beaver or Otter aircraft. Or, maybe on a sled.

islandpiper

Keith, nice talking with you last week. I'll stop in one of these days when passing by Denham.

I agree with your thought about a two part boat, but there are some guys who live on the tenth floor of some co-op building in Boston or whatever and NEED a boat. It is for them that I asked the original question.

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
islandpiper said:
there are some guys who live on the tenth floor of some co-op building in Boston or whatever and NEED a boat.
Friend piper,

My Ocean Kayak Yahoo will stand on end in a room with decent ceilings. I supsect Matt haz a few boats that kin do the same.....'er mebbe they need ta move ta Natchez 'n git a before-the-war house with 25' tall ceilings?

Az long az the boat aint too heavy ta twist 'n turn, it oughta slide inta a house jest fine. Heck, I helped a fella frum Brazil move a piano over a balcony in Memphis one afternoon! That sumbitch wuz heavy.....hard ta wrestle too.

regards
bearridge

ps I reckon that even the long kayak the High Sheriff built would fit inta a house....long az it aint made fer midgets. Az far az haulin' yer boat, a rack aint a hard hill ta climb fer folks who dont have a pickup.....if it iz anybody like that in America.

Former President Bill Clinton said that if his wife, Hillary, is elected president, he will do whatever she wants. You know Bill Clinton -- when he makes a vow to Hillary, you can take that to the bank. Jay Leno