and yet another new builder | SouthernPaddler.com

and yet another new builder

thesandcruz

May 20, 2010
Ok. I guess that I should have introduced myself first thing, but I didnt so shame on me :( Im Brian and I actually started on this UJ pirogue idea when I was overseas in Iraq. Now I'm home and the junkie itch has finally being scratched. Just started today on the actuall building by scarfing my joints and getting ready to join tommorrow. I read in another post that butt joints are better is this true? It seems like the increased surface area of a scarf joint should be stronger. Anyway going to try and get ribs put together and cut stems tommorrow as well. The funny thing about this wholepirogue idea is ..I was born in New Orleans and spent most of my life in and around Gretna,Harvey Marrero..and cant say that I ever saw a real pirogue. Or maybe I did but was just to busy licking the sap off the trees to notice ;} Pics tommorrow

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As seedtick stated , the joint you use is the one you like the best. I have used a scarf joint and after that used nothing but butt joints on all the boats I have made.
Mine are reinforced with glass on each side and then another layer of glass over them when the boat is completed and glassed. the only disadvantage I can see is with the butt joint there is a line where the joint is and with the scarf joint there isn't. By the way the scarf joint is suppose to be stronger.

Welcome back to the world. :D

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
thesandcruz said:
thanks guys...but be assured, more greenhorn questions to follow:}
Another vet welcomes you home.

And, fear not, we have a ready stock of greenhorn answers available. There are very few "cast in stone" answers or techniques; most are variations on a theme, adaptations, work-arounds, Rube Goldberg inventions, etc. (Except, of course, the stuff that I tell you.)