Another"Because, I wanted to build a paddle." | SouthernPaddler.com

Another"Because, I wanted to build a paddle."

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
It's the only clear wood I had so I laminated some pine together and made this one.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
No boat building during the Holiday Season, so I made another paddle. It is probably too short for serious work but it is what the wood I used, would give me.
IMG_4454.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Grandson has outgrown it. Seems only yesterday this one would have been too large. Now he needs a full grown one.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Gotta quit feeding him, Grandpa. They hit a growth spurt and put on a few inches, and first thing you know ypu're looking them straight in the eye. And, it was only last month that they learned how to ride a bike!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Take what the wood will give you. Sometimes it don't give easily. One day cutting out strips and gluing them up. Another day cutting them apart and refitting everything because of misalignment and poor fit of the segments. Another day or two shaping. sanding, and applying finish. Then sand finish off because it was not cured enough and it stuck to the work bench. After all the effort I wish I had used better wood, but it is what it is.

IMG_4574.JPG
IMG_4575.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Dave.

Jack I too use the store bought paddles. I have made a few that would serve well for rough work, but easier to buy one for hard duty. I could try to whittle you a knee from some left over hickory, but it really looks like a job for some of the epoxy craftsmen.:)