another fiberglass question | SouthernPaddler.com

another fiberglass question

1fast68

Jan 8, 2007
South-Central Arkansas
Acually several questions. I tried to find most of them but want to confirm also. I have started the epoxy/fiberglassing the bottom of my boat. I have done one side seam with 3" tape. I epoxied the the seam yesterday about 11am, put my tape on it and wetted it in at 7pm. I epoxied my puzzel joint down the middle and will fill the gaps of it this afternoon. I will epoxy the other side tonight and glass tomorrow. Will I need to apply epoxy to my first seam so it doesn't set to long? If I let it set to long can I sand the unfilled wetted out fiberglass which will definatly cut into the glass? When I add my runners for the bottom do I need to add them to tacky filled fiberglass, fillet then fiberglass again and then 3 steps of graphite (because my middle runner will run directly over my puzzel joint?
I have been debating flipping the boat over before I finish the bottom and putting the supports for my live well, that will also act as cleats for the inside, so I can brad nail them to the bottom. From what I have read if I just fillet this joint than it will be as strong or stronger than nailing and filleting. Is that a true statement? Sorry for all the quesitons and I'm sure I didn't word something correctly so let me know what isn't understood. Thanks for all the help.

1fast68

Jan 8, 2007
South-Central Arkansas
Ok found answers to most of my questions, can someone confirm a couple things please. Do I need to sand or just wipe down the wetted out glass before applying the full sheet to the bottom?
Thanks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
With most epoxy and fiberglass when you apply it to the boat there is a 72 hour window where you can just apply more and not worry. If 72 hours passes then there is a chance some blushing might occur and if that does a light sanding is recommended. The sanding roughs up the surface so the new epoxy has something to bond to.

Sand by hand and use a light touch , you do not want to sand or cut into the glass if possible.

Also if you think any type of oil might of gotten on the fiberglass and epoxy then it is a safe bet to wipe it with some acetone or do a light sanding. If you use the acetone then make sure there is nothing in your area with a flame on it , person smoking , water heater , space heater .... NOTHING with a hot surface or flame and have plenty of ventilation.

When I epoxy saturate a boat and let the epoxy set up then I give it a light sanding since the epoxy fills the wood fibers and creates some whiskers which will grab the glass (when it is layed over it ) and cause runs in the glass.

Think of the filleting as wielding the item to the boat or the seam shut. You are building up that junction and reinforcing it at the same time.

Chuck.