Another Hairy Adventure | SouthernPaddler.com

Another Hairy Adventure

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Robin and I just got back from a few days down the coast visiting her Mum. We took the boats, of course :D and while there, did some exploring around my old stamping ground where I grew up.

Our Sunshine coast is a strip of coastline, stretching from Caloundra in the south to Noosa in the north (about 50 miles) and its nearby hinterland. the whole lot starts about 60 miles north from Brisbane, the state capitol and used to be little more than a series of small towns along a magnificent piece of coast line. The developers and speculators have moved in and changed all that. Probably not as bad as some stretches of US coastline, but bad enough.

Enough of that, for now, Robins mum lives in a small hinterland villiage just a few miles west of the madness and has managed to retain much of the charm of yesteryear. I went for a paddle in a local lake while Robin spent some quality time with her mum. Lake Ewan-Maddock

MooloolaOct2007006640x480.jpg

MooloolaOct2007009640x480.jpg

MooloolaOct2007012640x480.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
The following day, we travelled up the Blackall Range to paddle Lake Baroon and the headwaters of Obi Obi Creek that flows into the lake.

EXCELLENTADVENTURE011640x480.jpg

MooloolaOct2007028640x480.jpg

EXCELLENTADVENTURE061640x480.jpg

Stopped at a nice little waterfall for some ice cold water. We allways fill our bottles here. The water is pristine and very sweet and allways cold. :D

MooloolaOct2007036640x480.jpg

MooloolaOct2007037640x480.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
We continued up stream along the edge of the rainforest and into the very upper reaches of Obi Obi Creek

MooloolaOct2007042640x480.jpg

MooloolaOct2007044640x480.jpg

Till we came to a cow paddock where we stopped for lunch - and a walk. :D

EXCELLENTADVENTURE071640x480.jpg

MooloolaOct2007041640x480.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Baldy,
i get envious every time you post a trip report.

Great report and photos.

Thanks.

Thanks mate, C'mon down mate, I'll show you round. Plenty of boats here and a spare bed if ya need it. :D

G'day Matt,

for shame Mick.... making your wife paddle that ugly blue thing
:shock: :D

I had to carry the bloody thing. :p Reminded me why I despise the pigs of plastic so much. but it is very comfortable and stable for Robin.

Some more piccies. :D

This is the cow paddock where we had lunch. The stand of trees in the back ground are small Bunya Pines (Araucaria bidwillii) - Sacred to the local Butchella and Kabi Kabi Aboriginal nations and were a rich source of food (nuts) for them. The tribes used to gather in this and surrounding valleys every year for the feasts and ceremonies. It is very good to see the local farmers are still protecting these lovely trees.

EXCELLENTADVENTURE092640x480.jpg

Oh yeah, the timber is much sought after by wood turners and is beautiful stuff to machine and work with.

While here, I was lucky to snag this shot. Robin reckons it is the shot of a lifetime- I wouldn't know. I just like it. :D

MooloolaOct2007055640x480.jpg

After lunch, we did some more exploring and found another small creek.
Serious skinny water with near vertical hill face & rainforect on each side.

MooloolaOct2007071640x480.jpg

We paddled up it as far as we could and then got out and walked up the stream bed. All around this lake are stands of Bangalow Palms,
(Archontophoenix cunninghamiana), another native, indigenous to this area and much sought after as potted palms till they grow too big.

MooloolaOct2007075640x480.jpg

Also very common in this area are bloody lawyer vines, (Calamus nuelleri) Well named, I think. :p

MooloolaOct2007077640x480.jpg

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Gee thanks Mick n Robin, nice of you to do some home work for me. Just got moved to Sandstone Point, bout a week ago. Which is about thirty minutes drive from Ewan Maddock Dam. Once I get meself organised I can go take me own picture of them bees an that flower. I'll happily follow in yer wakes and go visit them places and more. And yes, they really are that pretty. I can see meself forgetting to take me fishing rod and not care at all. :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Robin, thanks for taking the Olde Man out and about to blow some of the stink off'im. Beat upon him until he builds you a suitable wooden boat too.

Mick, I never thought about it, but your bull thistles are exactly the same there as here in the US. I guess that once God got a good design for a weed, She didn't want to change it.

Definition of a weed: Two plants growing in the garden, side by side. You aren't sure yet which one is a weed, and which one is the true vegetable you planted. Do this. Keeping them separated, pull them up, run each through a blender, adding sufficient kerosene to make a runny slurry. Pour out the slurry and burn it. Recover 1/8the teaspoon of ashes. If, after spreading the ashes on dry concrete it sprouts - that one was the weed.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
(Archontophoenix cunninghamiana)
Friend Mick,

Careful.......some little pardners mite be readin'. I looked at one of them sex books once upon a time. Even a gymnast mite have a hard time keepin' up with them red dot injuns. :roll: :roll:

Been up in the mountains 'er drivin' the highroads fer a few days. Mitey good ta see a fine pichur of Miz Robin. Dont even look like the same woman in that hospital. I hope the headache iz behind her....cept fer the ones ya give her. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Anyone who hates dogs and loves whiskey can't be all bad. W. C. Fields

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys, and yeah, Matt is right, it is a thermos :D We don't go paddling anywhere without at least one. :D

Here are a few piccies of the coast in that area.

This was taken from the light-house on Point Cartwright, looking across the Mooloola river mouth at the now, high-rise precinct of Mooloolaba. I used to live there as a kid and look out my bedroom window to check out the surf every day before school. - all gone.

EXCELLENTADVENTURE203640x480.jpg

Reef break below Point Cartwright, looking north towards Mudjimba (Old Woman) Island

EXCELLENTADVENTURE206640x480.jpg

Looking South from same place over Kawana Beach towards Caloundra
MooloolaOct2007085640x480.jpg

Kids wagging school at the same place to go surfing. (brings back memories :D )

MooloolaOct2007086640x480.jpg

I nice lady took this one for us. :D

MooloolaOct2007088640x480.jpg