Another New Guy | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Another New Guy

TulsaB

Jan 19, 2010
I am expecting my new batch of epoxy any day now but my boat rack already came in and I couldn't resist trying out the boat for size. The outside is already fiberglassed so I figured it could handle the stress. We did struggle a little coming up with a game plan for how to load it. It isn't really all that heavy but my wife is quite petite :D

TulsaB

Jan 19, 2010
ZipSnipe said:
Looks great!!! Love that blond looking ply you used!!!

Thanks ZipSnipe! I just wish I hadn't butchered it as much as I did when I put it together. That's okay though, I have everything I need for a second boat except a couple more sheets of that plywood. Oh no, I think I might be hooked.

TulsaB

Jan 19, 2010
On Saturday I decided that I couldn't wait any longer. I still have a lot of clean up work and sanding to do on the boat but it have it glassed outside and six inches up on the inside already. I still needed to make seats but somehow I knew it was time to hit the water. I cut up a 2x4, turned the pieces up on their short sides and screwed 7- 1x2's across the top of each pair to make a couple of temp seats. We put folded up towels on top of them and they worked pretty well for being made in about 30 minutes, out of scrap I already had lying around the garage :D

I issued the warning order to the wife that we were leaving at 0700 and asked her to get up early enough to put together a couple of sandwiches and be ready to go by then. Then I went to the store for "supplies" and picked up 2- 8 oz mini bottles of champagne from the local store. I haven't had that much trouble sleeping since I was a kid on Christmas eve. I woke up at 0530 and immediately started loading the boat while my wife slept. It is 16' 6" and I wouldn't wanna guess how heavy as this is my first boat build, so I know I overbuilt it. It was light as air to me and I couldn't stop giggling as I tied it to the roof of the truck. I am attaching a pic of the the truck with the boat on it. The truck is AWD with a 250 hp Honda V-6 and Honda 5 speed automatic in it but I have never loved it more than when it had a boat strapped to it.

Well we got it on the water at about 0800 and proceeded to paddle it around while generally heading toward a beach on an island in the lake. It tracked well, didn't leak and it would float for quite a distance on each paddle stroke on the calm lake. We made our way about a kilometer across the lake to the beach, I had my fingers crossed, and pulled up onto a beautiful beach with very clear water. I pulled out the champagne and we had a toast to the floating pile of plywood and epoxy. It was an experience that most of you know, I'm sure, but for me it was a new sensation and hard to describe. My wife looked at me with that sparkle in her eye that I wish I would see more often than I do. It was instantly worth all of the blood, sweat and tears. It was bliss and I am including the pic that shows my view from that beach.

I have a boat that floats :D For me this is the beginning. I have decided this new hobby is now in the top three. It now goes fishing, hunting and then boatbuilding. I can't begin to thank the people on this forum, your expertise, sense of humor and willingness to answer questions for the new guys has been invaluable. More to come.... :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
"O" Boy , we goofed up again ... He said his boat ... FLOATS. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the club , it is a exciting experience when you take the boat you made out for the 1st time. Makes all the worries and sweat from making it go away. To make it even more fun you had your wife with you to share in the excitement and fun , then the toast to the boat while on the shore admiring your work.
That feeling does not go away , it stays with you ever time you use it.
Making your own boats can become very addictive.

Chuck.