Another New Pirogue Builder | SouthernPaddler.com

Another New Pirogue Builder

Nismoron

Sep 11, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Hi, my name is Cliff. And I am an addict! I saw a pirogue on the side of the road for sale. $800!!! I said, "I can build that!" So off to the research I went. I looked at probably hundreds of pics and came up with my own design. Once I started cutting it out, I came accross this site and the UJ. Exactly like I designed except that I have a VERY narrow flat transome. Just wide enough for a trolling motor bracket if I ever decide to add one. I got the stem cut out. I only cut one. I'll stitch the rear since it will be cut off for the flat transom anyway. I also have the side panels cut and scarfed (but not glued). Then up came some family matters and some extra work at the ol job, so the pirogue has been put to the side for a week. Damn, job ruins all my fun! :-( I'll be back on the project this weekend and hope to have the sides glued, cut and attached as well as the bottom panel scarfed.

I kayak pretty regularly in my plastic boat and have introduced my new girlfriend to it. We are tired of wasting $30 a pop for her to rent one for the day. I guess she will paddle my plastic since she is looking at this whole plywood boat thing with a grain of salt. She says that I get to do the Coosa FIRST in it! hahaha. I aint skeered! I'm thinking of making a snap on spray skirt for the front and rear. Kinda like the Native Ultimate skirts. I'm also gonna make the front and middle ribs on the right side out of 1X2 or 1X3 so that I can drill a couple of 1" holes in the front one and cut a cuple of slots in the middle one to make some built in rod holders. You know I gotta fish out of it! I'll be posting pics as soon as I get past the same-o same-o stage of some plywood cut into 10" strips...

After this test run to see if I can build one of these. I think I am going to tackle the UJ row skiff. With a few mods, so that my GF and I can fish together. My 17ft Center console is just too much to deal with on a regular basis. WE like to get on the water few an hour or so after work every few days. There goes that damn job getting in the way of my fishing again.

Anyway, it's good to find somew great like-minded people.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I made a Uncle John Pirogue at 18 feet and then added a transom to it and sawed off the stern so it was square letting me use a trolling motor if I wanted to. The pirogue ended up at 17 feet since I had to cut a foot off the stern to do that. Not sure if I did it the easy way or the hard way all I know is that it worked and did not leak a drop.
Never did get a chance to try it since a friend of mine ended up with it.

My original idea was to attach a rudder and outfit the pirogue with the sail rig I made for one of the other pirogues or use a trolling motor, never really decided on which way to go. Was leaning towards the sailing rig. :D

The stern was trimmed off right where the water line would have be so it was still easy to paddle and did not cause any disturbance or turbulence ( back flow) off the stern.

Chuck.

Nismoron

Sep 11, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Well... It was off to the Home Depot for some more money to be spent. I had to get some TiteBond III. Never used it before, so I thought I would gie it a try. I usually use regulat titebond for indoors and Gorilla for outdoors. I didn't feel like dealing with the Gorilla foam on such a large scale. I'll bet that sanding that long of a seam would be a bear. And I am already way off my schedule for building this thing. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be for boats though? Scheduling delays and cost over runs...

I also had to get a 1X4 to use for that built in rod rack. First it is going to be used as the over and under clamp for my scarf joints...

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
Hello every body, I'm Tommy. I am new to your fourm, although I have followed you guys for a while. ( sounds like an AA intro. ) Native Louisiannian my dad, (God rest) use to build his own pirogues for many years, (as did my grand pa ) which I got to help with in my teens. Now I have also been bitten with the bug. I'm pass pirogue #5 ( if you don't count the first one which looked like a dory with two stems,) but my problem is that I live in Montgomery, Alabama and they are hooked on plastic jobers. I do beleive that the $800.00 dollar pirogue in question was one of mine. It was the last one I will ever make ( to sell ) with AA ply, west system epoxy, mahogony trim work, 10 oz cloth, padded seats, and 2 part marine paint. As fine as it was, people just didn't under stand the cost or the loving craftmenship that went into her. Or the fact that the man who owned the fish and tackle shop got $50.00 off the top for the display location. And yes it dit sell. so did my others. But now I have learned to cut the cost and still build a nice craft. I just love building & using boats as a hobby. When I get this next one off the horses I have to finish my 19' 1/3 decked open kayak. so I can get back to my bogler light dory. Already have the sides done, but they are just watching me from the wall.
My dad passed last year and was creamated. The last thing he told me was " Tommy, I want a viking funeral in the bayou." We officaly called it a burial at sea. if the attachment workes here is the only pirogue I was able to make for him. It was 4' long and 10' wide. It burnt with a furry for about 20 minutes, then sat smoking a few, and slipped to the bottom with about 5 lbs of steel glued in the bottom, under the coffin. And yes his ashes wre in the coffin and two coins ( of his ) for the toleman.
And Nismoron, if you need any local advice just let me know, I would like to see your pirogue.
It is nice to here of someone else around here building. And it will should be fine on the Coosa, just stay away from the rocks.