Another old Benjamin | SouthernPaddler.com

Another old Benjamin

islandpiper

Well, it's time to talk, I guess. I did a little trading this week and got a single owner 1963 Benjamin Model 312 pumper. It is all brass and on a nice Walnut stock. It didn't hold air or shoot when i got it, and the previous owner ( who paid $8.75 for it new! ) told me he had shot a million rounds through it and then it just quit holding air about 40-years ago. He told me he had always kept it well oiled with 3-In-1 oil and motor oil, etc. ( Hmmm......usually we just use Crossman Pell-Gun-Oil on these babies.) So, since it didn't shoot anyway, i ran some denatured alcohol through both ends and waited a couple of hours. Much to my happy surprise, I started shooting.

I plan to leave the old brass as is, once i scrubbed the accumulated pigeon do-do off.

It shoots hard ( .22 Cal ) and straight, with the open sights. And, it is a nice compliment to my 1981 Benji 347 ( .177 )

Piper

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I have a 22 Benji I need to make the stock longer. The but stock is so short it is uncomfortable. Probably no elegant way to do that without making or getting a whole new stock. For what it is to me I think gluing a extender on the back end would do the job.

Tom

islandpiper

Mo.......lots of ways to graft on to an existing piece of wood. Have you thought about a nice, clean tapered joint. If your stock is walnut, then you use walnut for the addition. Make a 1:6 taper or so, CLEAN AND ACCURATE, and fit a larger-than-needed addition. Glue it carefully, and then carve and finish as you wish. Done carefully it will serve and look good. Many other ways, some quite complex. What sort of woodworker are you? piper

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
You are right, I was thinking about a taper just as I was writing that last message. I have an old Montgomery Wards 20ga that my dad cut off for me when I was a kid. I saved the piece he cut off and glued it back on when I got bigger. The straight cut is not too elegant. The curved butt of the bengi would be hard to fit to and it probably has a chip out of it too......so yea an angle cut, glue and shape.

I am not sure what wood this one is made of. I got the gun back in the late 70s on a clearance rack at Target for 15 bucks....always thought that was the deal to end all deals. Still holds air pretty good.

Tom