Another overnighter on Elm Hall | SouthernPaddler.com

Another overnighter on Elm Hall

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Found another nice camping spot on the management area. I found a nice high spot on the banks of an oilfield canal off of Lake Verret going back through the swamp about a half mile. I did some fishing in the canal and along the edge of the lake. Got a few bites, but no fish in the boat. :(

Did a little exploring down the levee and disturbed this guy poking his nose out for a sniff.
armadillonose.jpg

armadillohead.jpg

A little further down the levee on the swamp edge I came across and interesting sight.
choupic.jpg

choupicclear.jpg

It's a male bowfin(or mudfish, dogfish, or grinnel-depending where you're from) defending his brood of babies. We call them choupic in South Louisiana.
Pretty interesting mating habits. The male hollows out a shallow depression on the bottom of the swamp and lines it with vegetation. The female comes along and deposits her eggs and he fertilizes them and the female leaves him to tend them. He guards the nest until they hatch and guards the swarm of babies until they can fend for themselves. He is sometimes very aggressive at this time. I've had them rush out of the swarm and open and close their mouths and flair their gills in a bluff charge. I even had one jump completely out of the water and hit me in the thigh! It got my attention, for sure.
Excuse the fuzzy pictures. I took a couple of pictures and they had too much glare and finally realized I had on polarizing glasses. So I held one of the lenses in front of the camera lens and it worked pretty good.

The wind started kicking up on the lake so I broke camp and headed back to the house.

lakeedge.jpg

Joey