Another question | SouthernPaddler.com

Another question

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
On a swede form asymmetrical hull are all that I have looked at the plans for had a gentle curve from the widest point (fat part of the swede form) to the nose. On some racing hulls K1 i see that line is nearly straight like a chisel from nose to the widest point .
Pros and cons to the different shapes.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Always figuring , aye Ron? I do it too. That's part of the fun.

My guess is the straighter the line the less volume there is there to move water out of the way. The further you go from a full front( as in the fish form) the slower you have to push water out of the way. Fish form has a big curve, assymetrical like in Matt's boats has less curve so a straight line , or even a concave line back to the widest point would have less resistance. I would guess you would lose in other areas--stability, capacity, rough water use.

Ron, do a Google search for "canoe and kayak design". It will give you a lot of food for thought.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A narrow bow on a boat is great in flat water. In waves, you get to observe a phenomenon called "pearl diving". The next phenomenon you get to observe is a wave progressing rapidly up the boat towards you.

Observations after that get a bit fuzzy.