Any Ideals | SouthernPaddler.com

Any Ideals

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I am ask to take folks on the river a lot,and by folks that have never paddled and are scared to do it by themselves.
I dont have a tandem and was thinking about building an 18 ft by 32 inch wide perow ,asymmetrical much like the hotair perow I built
IM001497.jpg

This boat is 15 ft and with 2 guys is about at max weight
Any thoughts.
Ron.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
So the drill is, if you want a new type of boat, have Ron ask for it?

Not to get too far off topic, but would you have to trailer a pirogue in the 18-20' range? Lightly built, 60-70lbs or +100lbs for a "normal" build? Even with a t-rack, it would be a strain to lift that much onto a pickup.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have a yak trailer so thats not a problem.
Weight ,just guessing around 60 lbs and I can handle that,and since this is a tandem you should have some help loading :D
Ron

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
As far as weight is concerned, this one came in well under 50 pounds. 18' X 28" I built it as a solo but its got a capacity of something like 600 pounds plus.
0_0_31776fb50becf9e68cb442f6aab448bf_1

Not sure it would be a good boat for beginers though. Its a little twitchy, But its fast!

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
lol, yeah jack, They look tall when standing up and it looks like a loooong way to the bow when your sitting in it too! I say its twitchy as in I can't walk around in it. I can stand if I'm carefull.. I've got the seat about 2 inches below the gunnel and I imagine it would untwitchify itself if one were to lower the seat another couple of inches.