Anyone ever brine a Turkey? | SouthernPaddler.com

Anyone ever brine a Turkey?

Birddog

Jun 17, 2005
MN.
www.catch-n.com
I know that this may be a bit off topic. But I am considering, trying to brine a turkey. I have came across several recipes. A lot of them are for grilling. Will they work in the oven? Any input would be great.

Thanks
BirdDog

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Birddog

You might want to check out the Thanksgivin Recipes. I took this from there.

Chuck.

Orange and Maple Roasted Turkey

Brine
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. kosher salt
10 black peppercorns, whole
1 medium orange, peeled and juiced
1 gal. cold water
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 medium white onions, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 celery ribs, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 - 12 lb. Honeysuckle White Whole Turkey, fresh or thawed
Compound Butter Mixture
1 lb. unsalted butter, softened
2 medium oranges, juiced
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
To brine: Combine all brine ingredients, except turkey, in large pot and simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Chill brine in ice bath until cold. Place whole turkey into foodservice-safe grade container. Pour chilled brine over top to submerge. Close bag and cover. Marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Remove turkey from brine, drain excess liquid. Place vegetables and herbs in body cavity and secure.

Combine butter, orange juice, salt, pepper, maple syrup, rosemary, thyme and garlic in a large bowl. With fingers, slowly massage the compound butter into the skin of the turkey until well absorbed. Fold wings under the back of the turkey and return legs to the tucked position. Turkey may be cooked in a 325° F. - 350° F. oven or on a rotisserie.

If roasting in the oven, cook on a rack for approximately 3 hours or until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 170° F. in the breast and 180° F. in the thigh.

If cooking by the rotisserie method, thread turkey evenly on the rotisserie-spit fork using a counterweight to achieve an even balance. Place a drip pan in the center of the grill beneath the area where the turkey juices will drip. Cook the turkey over indirect medium heat in a covered rotisserie.

If cooking with charcoal, replenish briquettes with about 15 briquettes every hour, as needed, to maintain medium heat. Cook until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 170° F. in the breast and 180° F. in the thigh (about 3 hours). Allow turkey to rest for about 15 minutes. Remove vegetables and herbs from the cavity prior to carving. Place slices on a platter and garnish with oranges.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Birddog,

If ya look over ta the Food Network site, they gotta heap a ways ta near bout everthing cept a cat. I seen Ole Bobby Flay make a brine fer some pork chops a few days back. It looked purty eazy.

http://tinyurl.com/872pr

regards,
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. Galileo Galilei

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Birddog said:
Thanks for all the info. I am in the process of brining it now.
BirdDog

Birddog.
If it is not any good then it is Jacks fault :lol: and if it turns out to be out of this world , just plain down right so delicious you just can't stop eating it then all the rest of us will be proud to take the credit. :roll:

Happy Thanksgiving

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Tell ya what fellas, I'm gonna let ya in on a secret. Shhhhhhh :wink:
Chuckee's all time favorite Holiday Dinner!!! Not brined or fried, just baked. And if your lucky enough to be invited with him for dinner. He can make ya extra wings or drumsticks for the asking!!! :shock: What a guy! He'll even make some great Mocha Latte' for dessert! :lol:

Vegan Tofu Turkey With Stuffing

5 lb firm tofu
2 T toasted sesame oil
1 lg onion, chopped fine
1-1/3 cup celery, diced (about 4 stalks)
1 c mushrooms, finely chopped
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c sage (may use 1/8)
2 t marjoram
2 t thyme
1 t winter or summer savory
Salt and pepper to taste
1 t rosemary
2 t celery seed
1/4 c soy sauce or tamari
3 c Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing

Basting Mixture:
1/2 c toasted sesame oil
1/4 to 1/3 cup soy sauce or
Tamari
2 T miso
2 T orange juice
1 t mustard of choice
1 lb tofu for the "drumsticks"

Mash tofu or mix well with hands. Be sure that all of the lumps are out. Line a 12" colander with wet cheesecloth over lapping the sides. Add the mashed tofu to the cloth covered colander, press down and cover with the overlapping sides. Place the whole thing in a large bowl. Cover the cheesecloth with a plate that fits inside the colander and place a 5 pound weight on the plate. Refrigerate and let sit for 2 to 3 hours.

When time is up, start the stuffing. Saute' the onions, celery and mushrooms in the 2 tablespoons sesame oil. When soft, add the garlic and all the rest of the stuffing ingredients, except stuffing, mixing well. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add herb stuffing and mix well.

Remove tofu from fridge and take off weight, plate and top of cheesecloth. Hollow out tofu to within 1 inch of the sides and bottom, placing the tofu in a bowl. Place the stuffing inside the shell and pack in firmly. Cover with the remaining tofu and pat down firmly. Turn stuffed tofu onto a greased baking sheet, flat side down. Gently press on sides of "turkey" to achieve a more oval shape.

If desired at this point, you may mold "drumsticks" out of one pound of tofu, and place on each side of the "turkey".

Mix up the basting mixture and baste tofu "turkey" with half of it. Cover the "turkey" with foil, and bake at 400 degrees for about 1 hour.

Remove foil, baste with all the remaining mixture except a few tablespoons and return to oven for 1 hour more, or until the "turkey" is golden. Remove from oven and use rest of basting mix. Using at least 2 large spatulas, move to a large plate. Serve with the gravy of your choice, if you wish, and cranberry sauce. Tastes good leftover (if there is any!) in sandwiches or plain.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Jim,

No one has voluntarily eaten tofu since the Bataan Death March. Certainly - no self-respecting Itallian would touch the stuff.

Japanese gree-itz!

(lemme see here, Alka-Seltzer, Bromo Quinine, Serutan, Geritol, ichtythol, Pepto-Dismal, Bromo Seltzer, strychnine tablet. Yeah, I got it all. OK bring on the tofu.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
With this handmade, custom, turkey there are not any worries about getting the Bird Flu. :lol:
I haven't tried it, yet, but Yak said it is quite good and him being Italian, knowing good food, I just have to take his word for it.

Then he sent me this recipe for lasagna .... What a Guy. :D

We make this at home.  Italian Tomato Sauce Ricotta Filling and noodles.

This Ricotta filling you would die for.
  11/2 pounds of tofu
   1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 tsp dried basil
    2 tsp honey
    1 tsp salt
    1 clove of garlic             ......... Mix all of it up till it is a grainy texture like ricotta and laid it in-between the noodles.

The noodles are easy to make.
    1/2 pound of tofu
    2 Tbsp oil
    1/2 tsp salt        ........ mix all of it together and then roll it out and cut them ....... Boil in salted water for about 5 minutes.

Doesn't that sound .......... DELICIOUS? 

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
...     Doesn't that sound .......... DELICIOUS? 
Chuck, (And Yakus Cheficus, and all others),

Even dog dookie is delicious if you leave out the tofu. Gritz, on the other hand, are better with tofu.

Get the message?

Jack
You need to check your spell check it does not know how to spell COOKIE :lol: :lol: :lol: or as we call them Dog Biscuits.

I was at the store yesterday and they had some for sale at the checkout counter, me being the curious person that I am I looked at the ingredients.
Whole Wheat, Corn meal , Peanut Butter, Peanuts, rosemary, garlic, molasses, salt & bran. It sounded pretty good. Sorry but there wasn't any tofu or Grits in it but it did have corn meal. :D

Chuck.