April Fishing | SouthernPaddler.com

April Fishing

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Made several trips this month. Great weather, great companions, good fishing, and beautiful scenery. Learned a little about paddling and boats.

4/01/10
topwaterboy, my son and I fished Clark's Bayou and Lake Bistineau. They caught seven real nice bass and I managed six smaller ones.
IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

Our boats:
IMG_1293.jpg

Blackened fillets yum, yum:
IMG_1303.jpg

4/03/10
Waited till they had to work and went to their big fish spot. No big ones for me, but a good trip.
IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Nice mess o' fish there, Bee. Good looking fleet of boats, too. I'm curious as to what happened to all the salvinia in Lake Bisteneau. I thought it was just about imposssible to get rid of.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This picture is the perfect example of some fishermen keeping the ..... BAIT..... when getting skunked out fishing.

IMG_1295.jpg

MAN... I sure wish I could get Skunked that good when I go fishing or even have some bait like that........ :lol: You guy's did really good and I am envious of your trip. Not even thinking about the meal you enjoyed. Over here we call them bragging Bass....... :D

Chuck.......
PS. With Bait like them I would never leave home and go fishing , no reason to. :wink:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
bee them is some good ones anyone would be happy with those guys, :wink: :D you answeredmy question to i thought the lake or river was mighty low. one thing for sure when its down low not as much water to have to hem em up or for me at least. thanks for report

yaull i don,t guess bee is giving out gps cordonets either? :lol:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
catfish said:
you answeredmy question to i thought the lake or river was mighty low. one thing for sure when its down low not as much water to have to hem em up or for me at least. thanks for report

yaull i don,t guess bee is giving out gps cordonets either? :lol:

They may be hemmed up but sometimes it is still hard to catch one. Fished again on 4/12/10, but caught only three:
IMG_1351.jpg

Worth going for this:
IMG_1348.jpg

Sorry don't have a gps :( We like to get lost the old fashioned way. :wink:

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
4/10/10

My son and I made an early morning trip out on the lake, but had no luck.
IMG_5517.jpg

Returned to the landing and added the grandson to our party:
IMG_1341.jpg

Dad soon caught one:
IMG_1344.jpg

Time for some real adventure, turtle stalking.:
IMG_1346.jpg

All that stealth for naught. It was dead! Proper carcass disposal:
IMG_5533.jpg

Paw Paw catches one while watching all the "drama":
IMG_5529.jpg

Return across the beaver bridge and back to fishing:
IMG_5535.jpg

Paw Paw finishes the trip on a high note:
IMG_5536.jpg

Not many days any better than this one. :) :) :)

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looks like the draw down has helped the fishing , That one with the worn tail , was it bedding or trying to.

When the state draws down a body of water around here the fishing improves a 100% and the nice thing about it ....... Only light weight , personal , water craft ( Not Jet Skies) can get in the lakes. The big Bass Boats can't get there since the water is way down past the ramp and there is only mud between the ramp and the water which they don't float in to well. The folks with them sure can't carry or push them out to the water.

Besides the improved fishing you don't have to worry about someone in one of the Bass Boats running over you. :D

Chuck....
PS. Sometimes they even lift the size and bag limit.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I learned some more about paddling on this trip to Bayou Dorcheat. The water was low because of the lake being lowered:
IMG_1353.jpg

It was also running hard. For Louisiana this could be considered white water, rapids, or something like that:
IMG_1356.jpg

The boats did well and we manage to catch a few fish. Didn't get any fish pictures, too busy paddling. When we reached this narrow, shallow area my son was able to get through. I could not, no matter how hard I tried. My green skiff is not as efficient as the more streamlined blue one.:
IMG_1357.jpg

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
BEARS BUDDY said:
Hey Beekeeper, great pics. Especially the one with the frying pan. Has the grandson had his boat out yet?[/quote

Thank you. :)

He has seen it but we won"t get a chance to wet it until next week (baseball & other activities). We will transfer possession today.

beekeeper