Archery | SouthernPaddler.com

Archery

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Hi Guys. I didn't want to start a new boat build in August, because I would be in South America in September. So needing something to play with, I dragged the old Browning bow out of the closet and started plinkin away with Walmart arrows. So that is how it began. Bass Pro had a sale on the PSE stinger with all the bells and whistles of a modern compound, so I got one. It is amazing the improvement, it can be perfectly fit to draw length and weight, but it is very short and very sensitive to the arrow release ( I think because of the single cam). But it is fun, and the groups are getting smaller.
But then, while in Columbia, during a down time, I found a hotel with internet. And in the classified adds on Archery talk, was a beautiful Hoyt Contender. So Monday morning I returned to a new toy. The cam and 1/2 lets me be more sloppy with the release and still make a accurate shot. Now I am playing with arrow spines to match the way I have the Hoyt set up. Lots of fun!
I will start the open top OKWATA SS&G Kayak build next week.
Anybody else here play with Archery?

The 1990 Browning

PSE Stinger

2011 Hoyt Contender Elite

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Rice San, talk to Dapper Al Dasen. He was #2 man at Fred Bear Archery, and makes his own bows, arrows, and quivers. Joey Dupres makes his own bows, arrows, and quivers too. One quiver is javelina hide, trimmed in mink.

Years ago, I used to fletch my own arrows. But, I had to use dinosaur feathers, because birds hadn't been invented yet.

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
I am thinking the next step is to build a recurve bow. I was thinking to build a laminate riser and use commercial limbs until I got a lot more knowledge.
Jack you would'n happen to have a bunch of those dinosaur feathers stashed away? They are getting as hard to find as hens teeth.
Yes, I think I need to build one.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
DCRice
Now your talking about a lifelong addiction for me.
Started in 1970 when I bought my first recurve and hasn't let up since. Taken mule deer turkey whitell coyotes bobcat world record gator gar turkey ,etc with a bow.
Built recurves and long bows using parts from bingham archery. ,still have the oven and molds around somewhere. Built a few all wood self bows,turned my own arrows ,built broadheads steel and chipped obsidian

Got into tournaments , shot for Golden Eagle for a few year and then High Country for a few more.
Opened and ran a bow shop for ten years before I sold it.
Yea it is an obsession with me. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ron
Oh and last week I bought a new PSE Supra ,ouch dam bows have got expensive

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Hey Ron, that sure sounds like a obsession. And I just looked up the PSE Supra. At that price, it should go retrieve the arrows for you.
I wish you were closer to Baton Rouge, I am shooting about 100 arrows per day, and I need to quickly get someone to watch me shoot before too many bad form problems
get practiced too much.
I have very little experience with Archery. Just practiced for a month or so before hunting season. Really just enough for a good 20 yard zero and a little confidence.
Now I plan on really learning to shoot. I will go back to the PSE at some point, but right now I am loving the Hoyt.
Still trying to settle on the correct arrow.
Dan

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Rice
This may be more info than you want , The first thing I saw on your stinger is the type of rest you were shooting ,looks like a whisper biscuit or at least a captive rest. Because of the full contact you have to have perfect form to shoot those. you can spend a ton on rest but if you want accuracy buy you a double prong rest
14.00 at academy or wally world ,accurate simple and trouble free , and forgiving compared to the rest you are shooting. Next thing back those wrist straps up until they are way loose. Tight wrist straps will transfer the movement to the bow if you flinch or tense at your shoot.
Dont buy into the carbon frenzy ,buy you a dozen easton xx75 , at 002 straightness they are straighter than most carbons till you get up to over 200.00 a dozen
All so you can look on the net and see a ton of folks with shattered carbons that blew up and went through there hands.
I dont want to bore you so I will stop this here ,but if you want some tips on how to check yourself and your shooting form let me know , I have coached a lot of folks and managed to help 90 % of them.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
All so you can look on the net and see a ton of folks with shattered carbons that blew up and went through there hands.

Back in High School ( Late 50's ) my cousin and I were practicing for a deer hunt that was coming up. Bill shot at the target nicking one of his arrows and was remarking about how tight that group was.
That was all and good till he went back to the line and decided to shoot that arrow again. When he released it , it split and the back half of it went threw his hand. We were using full re-curve bows and the pressed Port Orford Cedar arrows from Herter's.

His hand mended by the time the hunt rolled around , he did not get a deer but I did. :D

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Thanks Ron, Chuck. That's good information. And Ron, not more information than I need. I need it all. I actually have been shooting the XX75 2016s and getting the best accuracy. I have a few carbons that are not performing. I think because the spine is to stiff for the poundage I am shooting.
That is great news on the arrow rest. The stinger came with a whisker biscuit, and so I put one on the Hoyt. They are tearing up the arrows. I was planning on replacing the vanes with Blazers to stop the damage. I will check out Academy tomorrow for a rest.
I do want help with my shooting form, so I will send a PM.
Thanks
Dan

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Hi guys, a little update on the Archery. I called Ron last Sunday and got some advice on rests, setup, and a eyes closed drill. I put the Hoyt in the shop for a string change this week, so I have been practicing with Rons drill and shooting with the single cam PSE stinger. I picked the Hoyt up this morning, and the guys at Bowie outfitters did a fantastic job in setting up the bow. Ron's drills and advice, and the guys at Bowie have sure made this fun.
This is not the best, but typical of the 20 yard shooting i have been doing today.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Thats looking good.
Are you getting the feel of where everything is supposed to be when you squeeze of a shot?
It is amazing how you can feel everything when your eyes are closed and it is funny how good a group you can shoot with your eyes closed.

On the Pse and the Hoyt there is another reason the Hoyt shots better for you ,or I should say is more forgiving. If you draw a line from the pivot point on the limbs see how close to that line your grip on the Hoyat is. On the PSE your grip is several inches behind that line, less forgiving, try picking up the stinger pull and hold the bow,then grip it or flex the muscles in your hand and watch the limb tips move ,that distance from grip to the line of the pivot works just like a crowbar and multiplies your every mistake. Now do the Hoyat the same way ,the movement is much less because your grip and rest is close to your pivot point.
You were fighting several things on the PSE ,a rest that is very sensitive ,a set back riser which amplifies your mistakes and the single cam.
Keep up the good work and you will have to just start shooting one arrow at a spot it gets to expensive robin hooding arrows.
Ron