Arizona desert photos | SouthernPaddler.com

Arizona desert photos

tw541

Feb 18, 2008
Mountain Home, Arkansas
I thought I would share a few photos of the things I see every day in my job. I spend most of my time in pretty remote areas in the desert. I always have my camera handy.

Lunchtime. This osprey is having fish again.

phpiNS2igPM.jpg

phpFSWWyHPM.jpg

I was at one of my well houses in a pretty remote area when this roadrunner stopped by to see what I was up to. He had his lunch with him.

phpLON0aRPM.jpg

He decided I was up to no good and tried to bluff me into leaving.

phpLXy3b9PM.jpg

He then decided if I didn't have enough sense to run when challenged, he better hide where I could not see him. He hid really well.

phpNorSBZPM.jpg

These next two photos are the Black Canyon section of the Colorado River, about twelve miles below Hoover Dam.

phpWL0MYzPM.jpg

phpLSC28jPM.jpg

These desert bighorn sheep are pretty common in this canyon. These guys were feeding along the river when I took their picture. I really enjoy seeing them. I have hundreds of pictures of them.

phpJik9ZMPM.jpg

tw541

Feb 18, 2008
Mountain Home, Arkansas
Thanks OZ

I actually haven't been upriver past where I took these pictures, but one of the rangers says there are actually plenty of campsites. In summer, this area is packed with canoes and kayaks, many camping. I have been downriver from here and there are campsites that are available. The problem is there are very few put in and take out areas. It will involve using one of the companies who have the concessions for canoes on this section. There are five companies approved to access the upper river. The river is almost deserted in the months of January through March. This trip will involve using one of these companies for shuttle service.They have very little business during these months and would probably be glad to do it. These months are actually the best weather to be on the river. This last month has been great. It has been in the 70's and 80's all month. Beats the 115 to 118 it gets in the summer.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Terry, you whetted my appetite back at the road runner "MEEP! MEEP!"

When you get back from that trip, speak t me more about this area and tripping. Looks like hiking ought to be part of the package too? What an area!!

tw541

Feb 18, 2008
Mountain Home, Arkansas
I really enjoy taking these pictures. I have hundreds of the roadrunner. He and I got to be friends last summer. I was a LONG way off when I took the photos of the sheep and the osprey. I love that Canon camera. That image stabilization really works. Those photos are at maximum zoom and are hand held, I don't even own a tripod. I get very little blur. I am very fortunate to work in such an area. It's nice to have a job where I actually enjoy getting up to go to work. It's not a dirty word to me since I got this job.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Really beautiful TW. Thanks. Brought back alot of memories for me of my visit in that area in the 80's.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Terry,

Where are yer pichurs of Wiley Coyote? :wink: What swell pichurs!

thanks
bearridge

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Xerxes: Brought peace.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Terry,

Loved the photoes mate. Your country is very similar to our Kimberly region in Northern, Western Australia. Majical places. I jost love deserts.

Thank you for sharing mate! :D