B-29 & Bell X-1 Flying Models | SouthernPaddler.com

B-29 & Bell X-1 Flying Models

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Jack that is an awsome piece of flying. That 29 is very agile, although I don't think you would see too many full size 29's doing an outside loop muchless flying inverted that low. The X-1 is more my speed I mosly flew RC gliders thermaling and slope soared on the coast.
Can you just imagine what it was like for Chuck when they released him and he lit that bad boy up for the first time!!!! :shock: It must have been some kinda rush! Thanks for sharing.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I concur, CC. That B-29 flew more like a P-51 than a bomber. Had a helluva power to weight ratio.

I saw a B-29 up close and personal at the Air Force Museum. That is one - long - fuselage. Really an aerodynamically clean design. Makes other bombers look like boxes.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
During WWII, We had a few make a forced landing due to weather into Russia. They gave us back the crews and kept the 29's......not too terribly long after that, the Russkies were producing them and dubbed them T-88's. More worthless trivia on SP! :roll:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Yes Jack it did have a good P.W.R. what with 4 good sized engines like that it really hummed. Probably Zenoa Gas powered. It would be nice to lay in a sound track with sounds from the real plane instead of that whine but it's still impressive to watch. Wich brings me to another question Jack, Have you ever attended the Reno Air races? If you love planes that is one helluva rush standing out in the back straight as those massive prop driven war birds get up to 500 mph at about 100 ft off the deck sometimes much lower over the nine mile unlimited course. My personal favorite has always been the Rare Bear (F8F bearcat that's been extensivly modified) That plane when driven by Lyle Shelton back in it's hay day with the three bladed prop would make a sound like no other plane in the world not to mention holds the world speed record for prop driven airplane at 528 mph. It is something to behold. The 51's are great as well with the spray bars on and winding out those RR Merlins to the limit man it was fun to watch but nothing sounds like those huge radial Pratt and Whitneys. I digress. You have yourself a very fine day Sir.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A man has only one virginity, and if he loses it to a fine airplane, that's a good thing.

When I was a kid, in the early 40's, student pilots would hedge hop those yellow bi-wingers (the yellow peril?) over fences in our area. What an exciting thing for a kid to watch!

Some summer evenings, the northern lights would come up over those same fences. What wonderful fences to have in a childhood.

A big radial is a wondrous thing to behold. They do roar! The R-4350's always held my admiration. AND so did the guys who kept those mechanical monsters flying! Lots of moving parts flying in loose formation.

Tyer, never got to the Reno air races. Like you, that STILL sounds like an airplane to me. And I put in a LOT of years around jets.