Back pack | SouthernPaddler.com

Back pack

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
What did you get your back pack down to weight wise?
Ron

Everything including the pack
Right now without any perishables in the pack ,( water , Fuel [ alcohol ]for a stove , food or snacks ) it is 15.50 pounds with the hard sided Bear Vault to protect the food.
If I use the cloth Bear Bag for the food it weighs at 13.43 pounds

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
No bears here . Loaded fro three days food water the whole rig will weigh about what?
Ron

32 oz of water since I refill along the way. 2 pounds of water in a used Gator Aid 32 oz bottle which weighs about 1 1/2 oz empty ) ( a 3 oz water filter is a lot nicer to tote then extra filled water bottles )
Dehydrated food from the store and home plus some trail mix . 3 days worth about 5 to 6 pounds including snacks.

( My food is from the dried foods sections in the grocery store using the recipes from the Freezer Bag cooking section of there web site and a cook book I have. Also with recipes from The Backpackers Companion by Jean S. Spangenberg. ) All of it is repacked into Zip Lock Freezer Bags which are rolled with the air squeezed out of them.

Total weight of the pack about 22 to 25 pounds.

About Bears............
We have Bears but more so there little cousins those masked bandits that love to raid camps or campers no matter where they are. I figured if something is Bear proof then a Racoon would play hell trying to get in it , hopefully failing in the attempt.