Bag-less Camping | SouthernPaddler.com

Bag-less Camping

islandpiper

A while back the right honorable Bearridge (if i remember correctly) suggested that he was working on developing a camping rig with NO SLEEPING BAG.....just clothes to sleep in. Not a bad idea, especially in a hammock.

How's that coming Bear? Can you share your ideas so far?

Who else has ideas and suggestions? I'll bet if we put our heads together we can put together a pretty good "kit"

thanks, piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend piper,

I ordered some heavy polartec pants frum Cabelas, bout $30. IIRC, they sell 'em fer hunters 'n fishermen ta wear in the ice water rivers under their rubber chest boots. Later I seen some camo huntin' drawers that looked thick 'n warm.

The top iz eazy, so are the toes 'n head. I got a Chilihead polartec hat which iz very soft. A wool hat would do, jest not az soft. I aim ta have some polartec blankets handy......jest in case I miscalibrate. Rasslin' with polartec blankets aint hard at all.

Caint report til the cold weather comes.

regards
bearridge

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money.  G. Gordon Liddy

islandpiper

Stored away, I have a monster expedition style good down parka.......came in really handy in Michigan. When i bought it there was a set of chest highs that came with it or you could get a lower bag unit. Real handy outfit.

I think a half a sleeping bag could be handy with suspenders, or velcro'd to the jacket. A hooded jacket could do it, serve double on chilly nights BS-ing around the fire and cold mornings making coffee.

To me the idea would be to carry less "stuff" and still sleep warm on these bitterly cold 40-degree louisiana winter nights.

piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
islandpiper said:
To me the idea would be to carry less "stuff" and still sleep warm on these bitterly cold 40-degree louisiana winter nights.
The stuff I aim ta take instead of my big fella sleepin' bag dont weigh half az much 'n iz eazy ta move round inside the hammock.....not much rasslin'. Caint wait ta give it a try.

regards
bearridge

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotisms. Aristotle

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Damn, I clicked on this thread thinkin' there might be a good nap in store for Jack. But, no, it ain't about pipes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I like the concept. I'm just thinking you might run into the same limitations of a sleeping bag- insulation being compressed under you. You're probably right about being able to move around better in the hammock. It is definitely a learning experience getting in the hammock and getting the bag zipped up while staying in the middle of the pad. :roll:

islandpiper

Here ya go.........the half bag:

http://www.nunatakusa.com/sleeping_bag_akula.html
akula-%2B-jkt.jpg

Too warm for use here, but I may make something a bit lighter.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
jdupre' said:
...It is definitely a learning experience getting in the hammock and getting the bag zipped up while staying in the middle of the pad. :roll:
It is a lot easier to arrange and pre-zip the bag while standing up in the opening of the hammock, with your head in the hammock. Here's a system that works for me:

I lay out the bag in the hammock, with the foot end hanging out, zipped up a few inches from the bottom. (In fact, I sometimes put in a large blanket pin across the zipper a few inches up from the bottom to keep it from unzipping all the way. A real bitch to restart the zipper in the dark when I'm sleepy.) Sit in the hammock and insert your feet into the bag. Stand up (head inside the hammock) and arrange the bag so it will zip up straight. Slide the hood up onto your head - this is important. Arrange the bag so it is not twisted on you, and zip it up most of the way, say, chest high. Double check the pad's position, reach up over your shoulder and pull up all slack in the bag so any extra is up around your shoulders, keep your head in the hood to prevent the bag from slipping down off your shoulders. Sit down & lean back. This will usually position you pretty good. If you want to be further up in the hammock, reach up to the end of the hammock and grab a handful of material, bend your knees a bit put your feet down to raise your butt, and pull up with your hands while you push down with your feet. This maneuver will gain 6"-8". Zip up the last few inches of your bag, and go to sleep.

A hat will keep in more body heat than any other thing you can do. Socks on feet and hands help too, but not as much.

Takes longer to read than to do.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
WHERE in Louisiana are you planning to sleep wrapped up in all of THAT??!! I have less than that in Canada. Piper San, you went from "bagless" to over stuffed.

Before morning gets there, you'll be nothing but a little puddle of sweat. the wonderful Piper that we know and love will be gone form our midst. Sad mourners will line streets all over Iron River, and as far away as part of Gaastra.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Piper......

I haven't done it but have been entertaining the same thought about the blanket.

Take an wool army blanket , double it over and sew it together , this would form a pocket for the air mattress or a thin pad to go in. That stops the heat loss from under you and keeps the pad in one spot. Plus you are not on the pad but something comfortable.

I'm thinking a single blanket could be done that way , without cutting it , the envelope for the pad and then the rest for flipping over the camper , all in one unit

Florida , the most normally needed is a single layer and that is early in the morning , winter time a sleeping bag , either open ( as a cover) or zipped up would work.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Rasslin' with a big bag jest aint worth it, but tryin' ta come up with a one piece solution wont work. I never slept out in the woods when it stayed the same temperature all nite long. Most of the time it iz much warmer til the wee hours, when it gits much colder. That iz why I am lookin' at one layer, plus some eazy ta handle add ons.....a polartec hat, a polartec blanket, anuther polartec blanket, polartec gloves. Sometimes a hoodoochie comes in......mite git warmer.

The problem with a big bag 'er anythin' else that takes a heap rasslin', zippin', unzippin', wrappin', unwrappin', cussin', etc. iz that it wakes ya up....sometimes puts some anger in yer head. It aint eazy ta git back ta sleep after a big bag 'n a slippery pad put a can of whup ass on ya. [This iz likely a bigger problem fer long fellas 'n wide fellas.] I plan ta start with the pad on the bottom with a blanket on top of it. Then I will lay on it. I plan ta keep all the other stuff handy fer when it gits colder.

The problem I see with a big eskimo suit 'er sewin' up a army blanket (besides the weight) iz lack of temperature control. Best ya kin do iz stick yer arms 'n head out 'n mebbe yer feet? Sweatin' jest dont go with sleepin'.....in my book.

Before ya'll begin ta call me the new Clifford Jacobs, the Southern Test Facility haz gotta run some tests. We run a few without a guviment grant, jest dont like ta make a habit of it.

regards
bearridge

ps This thread haz gone too long with pirates hijackin' it 'er talk of grits. Feels queer.....kinda like the Twilight Zone when the funny music starts.

Jack Crabb: Grandfather, I have a white wife.
Old Lodge Skins: You do?  That's interesting.  Does she cook and does she work hard.
Jack Crabb: Yes, Grandfather.
Old Lodge Skins: That surprises me.  Does she show pleasant enthusiasm when you mount her?
Jack Crabb: Well sure, Grandfather.
Old Lodge Skins: That surprises me even more.  I tried one of them once, but she didn't show any enthusiasm at all.

islandpiper

OK Bearridge, you've convinced me. The next time Joey and I are planning a trip out to the swamp will be in the late Fall. I'll take just my Hennesey and a light blanket. And, a couple of LSU Co-eds who can fan air over hot rocks from the campfire and keep me nice and warm. How's that for planning? No bulky sleeping bags to carry, no squirming onto a underpad in the hammock. I'll let you know how this works out.

piper

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I made a blanket with a foot pocket from a cheapo sleeping bag.

In a floorless tent I use:
Water proof ground cover with the edges raised for that rain or snow that may come under the tent.
Space blanket shiny side up.
Self inflating pad.
2 -- 4' by 5' fleece throws. (One is rolled or folded to use as a pillow.)
The blanket.

This rig kept me warm on the 2008 AuSable trip when one of the crew reported his thermometer registered 29°F inside his tent.

The blanket is similar to the one Ray Jardine sells in kit form.

Mine cost $9.99 for the bag, 1.75 for the thread plus sales tax.

The blanket is about 30% lighter than the bag was and no annoying zipper.