Bamboo Bows & Arrows | SouthernPaddler.com

Bamboo Bows & Arrows

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Hey.. I grow my own bamboo. I have a large grove of "Timber Bamboo" also "ARROW" bamboo. I sell the timber bamboo to bait shops and tackle shops for Bamboo Fishing Poles. Some of them they use for "Frog Gigging" poles. I've sold quite a but via Craig's list. ANYWAY...I want to start making some of these bows & arrows. Check out the links!!
KAHUNA :roll:

http://www.primitiveways.com/bow_and_arrow.html
http://www.zetatalk.com/food/tfoox097.htm

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
That looks good. I've been using some bamboo in my recent Boat Paddles. Been getting samples of bamboo flooring from HD and cutting them into strips to laminate handles for the paddles. Adds some spring to the paddle and should be quite strong as well. Would be interested in seeing your bows and arrows when you get some completed. I've always admired the people talented enough to build the selfbows, I've always shot store bought or ones made by those talented ones.......

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Ones from the links I posted are simple if you have good bamboo. I made a 3 foot one for my little nephew in about 15 minutes. I used "CABLE TIES" to put it together. Very strong. I'm gonna add some feathers and paint it a bit for him. Next step is to make a few arrows for it with my "ARROW BAMBOO"! I'd like to see your paddles!!! I'll post some pics when it's all done!! :p
KAHUNA

buckisland1950 said:
That looks good. I've been using some bamboo in my recent Boat Paddles. Been getting samples of bamboo flooring from HD and cutting them into strips to laminate handles for the paddles. Adds some spring to the paddle and should be quite strong as well. Would be interested in seeing your bows and arrows when you get some completed. I've always admired the people talented enough to build the selfbows, I've always shot store bought or ones made by those talented ones.......

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
As a kid, I made a few bows with whatever brush was handy. Kite string served as string. I never thought of combining several sticks together in one bow. Good cordage is an absolute must. Strands from a milkweed stalk could be used in the wild, I suppose.