Bannock Recipe | SouthernPaddler.com

Bannock Recipe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I copied this from some e-mail that a bunch of us are kicking around.
Chuck.

Tom , this is straight from an internet site . I've never used a frying pan , don't know what wheat germ is and i don't like nuts . We wrap it around a stick and depending upon how thin it is , it doesn't take long to cook . Blueberries , apple slices and cinnamon is the key . Bannock will dry out pretty quick like 5 day old bread if there isn't something in it to keep it moist . I like a sprinkle of cinnamon on the trout also . At the pow wows it's served round and flat from a frying pan . When the first Indian saw pizza he said , who puked on the bannock ? Art :lol:

Bannock Recipe

4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons oil
Add enough water to achieve a bread dough consistency

You can replace a portion of the white flour with an equivalent amount of whole grain flour of choice, and include some dried fruit of choice, wheat germ, bran, and nuts of choice. The bannock can also be seasoned with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Mix ingredients well and knead for approximately ten minutes. Grease and heat a fry pan. Form the dough into cakes about 1/2 inch thick and dust lightly with flour. Lay the bannock cakes in the frying pan and hold them over the heat. Shake the pan at intervals to prevent the bannock from sticking to the pan. Once a bottom crust has formed and the dough has hardened enough to hold together, you can turn the bannock cakes.

Cooking takes 12-15 minutes. Test whether or not the bannock is ready by inserting a clean toothpick or sliver into the loaf. If it comes out clean, the bannock is ready to eat.

If you don't have a fry pan you can make a thicker dough by adding less water. Roll the dough into a long ribbon, no wider than an inch. Wind this around a preheated green hardwood stick and cook over a fire, turning occasionally, until the bannock is cooked.