Barrier Coat | SouthernPaddler.com

Barrier Coat

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Anybody use West System's Barrier Coat Additive?
I read it is very hard and scratch resistant, and it can be used for boat bottom protection.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
JD, you are always teaching us something! That's interesting stuff, I hope someone that has used it responds. I'm pretty happy with your rockite and graphite mixture. On the video I did see a technical about using a foam roller piece to tip epoxy. May give that a try.
Thanks for posting,
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
"Teaching"? more like me asking questions.
I choose to remain old fashion and try not to be drug into the dark side;) (epoxy/fiberglass) of boat building.
My knowledge of the subject is limited, so I have a serious question. If epoxy water proofs the wood what is the "Barrier Coat" for?

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
From what I have read it's basically to stop any blistering of the gel coat on boats. One guy who rebuilt a sail boat used it and had this to say.
" WEST SYSTEM epoxy worked equally well for finishing off the exterior of the hull. The interior got three coats of clear epoxy and then varnish. The exterior got seven coats of epoxy mixed with 422 Barrier Coat Additive. This stuff worked great because it made sanding and seeing imperfections easier. It also made the surface much more impervious to water. "

Not crazy about the easier sanding.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I should not ask any more questions because I only wanted to know about the abrasion resistance. Probably never used as the primary abrasion protection on the bottom. I can't find an example.
The endorsement sounds like it was read off the can. If the epoxy with the additive "made the surface much more impervious to water" how poor a job does straight epoxy do? Their web site says it offers excellent protection.
All this protection in only seven coats.