Basmati Rice | SouthernPaddler.com

Basmati Rice

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Something new from this place........

The wife has been diagnosed with the early stages of Diabetes , Stage #2. so I am changing the menus around here to help her get back to normal. We both love rice with our meals and she told me she has to give up white rice and go with the brown or something else.

We found a white rice she can have with a meal and it is the Basmati Rice imported from India.

The rice is dam good , takes 20 minutes to cook and if you do like they say , one cup of rice to two cups of water ..... Look out you will have a lot of some delicious cooked rice , great for left overs. :D

It makes the Minute Rice taste like sawdust and just as appealing. Haven't tried it in a water bottle rolling around in the bottom of the boat to bring it back to live ( Before cooking ) with some dried beans , onion , celery , peppers , spices and ham chunks for a Hopping John supper while camping but I might be able to do that in a short time. :D

I did the rice as the directions said , then while it was cooking I put a couple of boneless chicken breasts in a zip lock and flatten them out. Then they were dusted with very little flour and salt & pepper , some Everglades Seasoning and flash fried in a hot skillet with some olive oil in it.
The chicken breast will double of triple in size when pounded out nice and flat and cook a lot faster then if left in the original shape. For anything extra , add some salsa for a western treat while cooking them if you desire to. Not sure what Yankees would add to them , Grits I assume which should be on the side as a side dish and they do not know that. :roll:

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Chuck,
Basmati rice is very good. We have been eating it for years. We used to get the Texmati rice. It was grown over in Alvin just west of here. It has gotten so expensive Mrs. B has been getting the imported basmati. Ya'll will enjoy it. It has a nice nutty flavor. I hope that it agrees with her.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When I cook white rice, it's Basmati. Very aromatic (it smells good too). I stem it in camp. Use a bit less water, add rice and salt to a plastic bag, steam a few more minutes than you would cook in a pot on a stove. Cooked rice (if only rice) keeps unrefrigerated several days. Plastic bag is a "sterling silver serving dish" at my table.

I sometimes do a one-dish meal by adding some veggies (garlic, onion, garlic, celery, garlic) and meat - usually a can of chicken breast. My creative name for this dish is "rice gloppy".

As quickly as the bag of rice is done, it is replaced by a bag of cornbread to steam up and be eaten with maple syrup. JARVIS good eatin'!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This may sound nasty to you but I like it and it could be called a half arse rice pudding sort of thing.

I take the left over ( cold ) rice and put some in a glass , add some sugar and then some Cinnamon and milk ( not a lot of milk just to below the top of the rice, not over it ). It makes a light , but filling snack when you want something but don't know what you want to have.
Also works good as a quick breakfast item. :lol: Even pups likes it.

For any dog owners out there , if your pup gets an upset stomach a sure fire cure for it is 1 cup of cooked rice , 1 cup of cooked oatmeal and 1 cup of cottage cheese mixed together and fed to the pup. I haven't tried it ( has everything in it that I like) but pups sure likes it as a meal time treat now and then , he gets about one cup at a time.

Chuck.