Bayou Dorcheat Pirogue #4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Bayou Dorcheat Pirogue #4

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
This one has a couple of tweaks. I have about tweaked this size and design to the max. The main change is the widest waterline beam is now 18" behind center. This should trim the boat level and allow me to sit behind center.
IMG_5438.JPG

IMG_5455.JPG

The shorter tape is at midship. The longer one is at the widest beam.
IMG_5461.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The test run will have to wait a little while. The bayou is running a couple feet above flood stage right now. I could go to the lake but it is too muddy for the fishing to be good.
I don't expect any drastic changes in performance. I hope the changes will allow me to sit a little closer to the stern and keep the trim level. My latest boat paddles fine but I have to sit closer to center to keep the trim leveled. Moving rearward will allow me to access my gear easier. Having my rods in front of me works better than them being along side of my chair.
I believe the previous boat is widest about 12" behind center so hopefully this is enough change to help. I probably "fret" too much over design features. To me, boats are like shotguns. One can buy and adapt to the fit and performance of a standard factory model. It will work OK for most times. You can modify it some and make it better for your tasks. You can have it rebuilt completely or a custom gun made for your needs and that one will work best (for you).

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looking back when I was younger I had a Gheenoe and to balance it I would place a 5 gallon bucket in the bow filled with water. That way I could sit in the back by the 9.9 Mercury and fish with it being level. That 9.9 Mercury sure made it easy to get from point A to point B. I would cut the motor and coast into the fishing area , then use a paddle to get around.
Did not like trolling motors. One time I watched ( from a bridge ) fish vanish when a trolling motor started getting in their area and then come back out after it passed.
Later with normal Canoes I would pack my camping gear forward to balance them. Then I could sit in the stern seat and paddle a balanced canoe.

Reactions: Gamecock

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
One unexpected change is, this boat weighs (43 lbs.) 3 lbs. more than the last one (40 lbs.). I did use 5 mm luan for the tumblehome panels lnsted of WRC strips.
Not anything to worry over. Both are considerably lighter than my other boats.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Bee, that looks like it should work well. Only so much you can do with a short boat. The bow looks much sleeker, too.

I tried to reduce the volume and rocker of the bow end, to keep the front end down. The widest beam being farther behind center should also help. I only wanted about 4" to 6" more room.
Thanks for your brain storming and input.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Took the boat to the bayou today for its first trip and slimming. Only caught one white bass, but that counts for slimming.
I was able to sit behind center and keep my fishing rods in front of my seat. The bow seemed to be just touching the water or maybe only a little above.
The boat tracked well but was still easy to turn.When I turned around to return to the truck I was going down stream and had a head wind. Scooted the seat forward a little and the boat handled better (less wind cocking). More trips needed but I am pleased.