Bayou Lafourch Paddle Club | SouthernPaddler.com

Bayou Lafourch Paddle Club

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Spent the day yesterday with a BUNCH of good people. I was able to take Friday off with short notice. I passed by the paddlers putting in at Donaldsonville (the beginning of Bayou Lafourche) Thursday and was able to sneak Friday off.

Went to Madewood Plantation- the site of the second day's put-in and was met by the sight of a lot of boats.
atmadewood.jpg

madewood-house.jpg

They were scattered all about the water's edge and the grounds of the plantation home.

Bayou Lafourche

bayoulafourch.jpg

Bayou Lafourche is flanked on each side by main highways. They are only about 30-40 yards beyond each bayou bank. Hwy 1 , which is on the west bank of the bayou, follows the bayou for 100 miles and has been called " The longest main street in the world". Residences and businesses line the highway and the bayou bank almost continuously the whole way. You would be hard pressed to find a quarter mile section along those 100 miles that didn't have a house or business on it.

One of the many bridges that cross the bayou.
lafourbridge.jpg

Talked to people from a few different states on the way to our lunch spot.
Couldn't figure how we were going to get 50 or so boats tied up around the cafe' we stopped at.

boatsatnubbys.jpg

Boats were tucked here and there and we had to walk around them but we made it.
There were only 3 homebuilt boats in the gang- my pirogue, a cabinet grade stripper canoe and this LONG two seat stripper kayak.
doublekayak.jpg

After lunch of jambalaya, white beans and coleslaw graciously donated by the area businesses, we paddled the seven and a half miles to the take out point in Thibodaux. Great people, fine food and a bunch of interesting boats- a fine day.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You're messing in tall cotton there, Joey. Good on ya!

Interesting, huh, how a fellow can mix right in a group of paddlers (or people in any human-powered sport) and get along well. Don't try that with a group of skidooers.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yeah, Jack, those people reminded me of the people I meet at all the traditional archery shoots. Something about simple technology that brings out the best in people.

On the other hand, there were a few yuppie types with the state of the art kayaks that were wound a little tighter than most. Good folks, to be sure, but just a little more serious than most of the people there. You know the type. They had the ubiquitous floppy paddling hat, paddling gloves, paddling booties, paddling shorts, padd........... you get the idea. Looked like an advertisement for Paddlers R Us. :)

Later

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Funbun, it's one of our many one pot dishes. Basically, you cook down most any kind of meat or sausage with onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, etc. until everything is tender. Cajuns don't do undercooked meat or veggies. You then add enough water for the amount of rice you use and then add the rice - it all goes in the same pot. The rice bag has the ratio of water to rice. You stir everything together, cover and simmer on low for about 25-30 minutes.

The flavor of the meat and veggies are cooked into the rice, not laying on the surface. MMMMMM Good stuff.

Joey

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
some of us sho do miss Ole Justin Wilson :cry: funbun, when did ya move ta Alabama?

So when all the yielding and objections is over, the other Senator said, "I object to the remarks of a professional joker being put into the Congressional Record. " Taking a dig at me, see? They didn't want any outside fellow contributing. Well, he had me wrong. Compared to them I'm an amateur, and the thing about my jokes is that they don't hurt anybody. You can say they're not funny or they're terrible or they're good or whatever it is, but they don't do no harm. But with Congress-every time they make a joke it's a law. And every time they make a law it's a joke. Will Rogers

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
funbun said:
Lived here all my life.
Well it iz a good thing ya found Chuck's Cafe. This place iz kinda like a homeless shelter fer folks fulla ideas bout what ta eat 'n how ta cook it. We jest set a record. It haz been over a month since there wuz any serius talk of grits. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps South Alabama....anywhere near Opelika?

If Congress can determine what constitutes the general welfare and can appropriate money for its advancement, where is the limitation to carrying into execution whatever can be effected by money? Senator William Draden

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Found these pictures from the Bayou Lafourche Paddle posted on the Barataria Terrebonne website.

2008LafourchePaddle2.jpg

Don't know what happened. Some ugly fella was paddling my pirogue. :)

2008LafourchePaddle1.jpg

I paddled alongside and talked to this fellow from Houston for the last hour of the trip. Kept up with him pretty good. My old school ride
gave a good showing among the 25 or so kayaks.

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
A 2:1 ratio of water to rice works every time. It doesn't matter what size the measuring cup is, just use 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice. Or, if you don't have a cup, use 2 empty beer cans (or whatever you have) of water and 1 empty beer can of rice. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until all water is gone. If you have more time, try using a double-boiler - dat be good rice.

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Bilgerat said:
A 2:1 ratio of water to rice works every time. It doesn't matter what size the measuring cup is, just use 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice. Or, if you don't have a cup, use 2 empty beer cans (or whatever you have) of water and 1 empty beer can of rice. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until all water is gone. If you have more time, try using a double-boiler - dat be good rice.

This be the same recipe for rice me Mom taught me (2:1) works everytime. Now, if I'm cooking a jambalaya completely from scratch I debone the chicken first. Then use dem bones to make a stock. That stock gets strained and used as the liquid to cook the rice.